Good small dogs for protecting flock

Pics
Can you tell me if pointers or setters would be a safer breed to have?

I personally would not use any bird dog breed or hunting dog breed to try and guard chickens. I would stick with traditional LG breeds like Great Pyrenees/their European equivalents, or a general "guard dog" breed like a mastiff that is known for having low prey drive and for being gentle with smaller animals.

Bird dogs, dogs bred to HUNT birds, are pretty much hard-wired to want to take birds in their mouths. That's just their nature. Hunters use that genetic desire to get these dogs to bring game birds to their hand after the hunter has shot them. It saves the hunter lots of leg work, and in the case of duck dogs, keeps the hunter from having to go into the cold water after a downed bird. It does not necessarily make them blood-thirsty killers of birds.

This skill-set is very useful to their hunter partners, but it's a whole different skill set from being *protective * of birds. It's kind of like asking if a skier or swimmer would make a good brain surgeon. I mean, a skier or swimmer MIGHT be a brain surgeon but that would not be my first criteria for choosing someone to operate on me. Certain breeds are genetically designed to be protective of property and to herd things. Others are not. Some individual dogs can do amazing things, and just like humans, some can't be trusted to look after your socks. Sometimes you luck out. Also just like people, a dog is a dog whether it has a pedigree or not. Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for! I'm loving these stories, by the way, let's keep 'em coming!

Edited to correct minor spelling/typing errors.

My cat thinks he is a guard dog. Follows chickens around everywhere.
A8CF8825-565F-4FC2-A118-70D795BEE4A2.jpeg
6140D3AD-BA0F-4FF2-95B1-08C7624699DA.jpeg

My pug has been the best dog around my chickens... I have 4 dogs; her, my terrier mix, and the pitlab mix are the only ones allowed near the chickens. My beagle is a former hunting dog and she will go instantly into hunting mode if she sees them.

I believe it's all in the way you train your dog, starting with a puppy is easier than an older dog that's set in it's ways. The beagle was adopted at age 4, so she is set in her ways. She can be behind a fence with the chickens, but as soon as she knows there's no barrier, she will attack (she's never been without a barrier with the chickens). My terrier mix has been with my chickens since 8 weeks and I'd trust her by herself without me supervising (she's 12 weeks right now). She has commands she follows and is very intune with my commands. The pug pretty much hangs with the chickens all the time, she watches out for predators and trust me everything is scared of her (it's a little dog thing). I'm sure a hawk could carry her off, but she wouldnt go down without a fight.

I personally would not use any bird dog breed or hunting dog breed to try and guard chickens. I would stick with traditional LG breeds like Great Pyrenees/their European equivalents, or a general "guard dog" breed like a mastiff that is known for having low prey drive and for being gentle with smaller animals.
I need a desert friendly dog - the coat on the breeds mentioned is far too heavy for this environment. Any other suggestions?

Yeah, I see what you’re saying. Do you know if a black lab might be good? A friend of mine has two labs that get along great with the chickens but I’m not sure how they’d be
We have a lab and she wants to be around people, wherever that is. She doesn’t stay out with the chickens alone, but she is not trained to do so.

i had a collie, beautiful dog, very docile and made friends with all the birds we had, even quails! Unfortunately he passed away 2 years ago and my parents got 2 european sheperd dogs which are litterally the worst dogs i've ever seen. in the year they've been with us they already managed to kill 2 chickens and 3 quails, they can eat through anything, be it wood or iron. All the animals they killed weren't freeranging, they litterally destroyed the chicken coop and the quail's aviary and killed them. Finally found a way not to trigger their instinct (if they can't see them they wont do anything), but yeah i would definitely not recommend this kind of dogs.

A lot of small breed dogs are either hunting dogs like terriers or lap dogs - not really great dogs around small animals typically. I have two terriers and they cannot be trusted around free range chickens whatsoever.

I think you'd be better off getting a Great Pyrenees or GP mix and raising it alongside your flock, bonding it to the flock rather than humans.

They aren't small, but then again they aren't meant to be pets. They're just supposed to be bodyguards for the flock/herd. A small dog is just as likely to be the prey of a large predator like a fox or coyote as a chicken would be.
I agree, smaller isn't always better. I have a rottie and she has been good around my chicks.

Forgive me, I have to brag on Gracie just a little more. Occasionally one or more of the hens will "lay out," by which I mean they find a hidden place to lay their eggs during their free-ranging time instead of laying in their nests. When they do that, this sweet girl brings those eggs up to the house and delivers them to me. I didn't teach her that. :love
You remind me of those parents who brags about their kids.......

This is a short hair GP:
127366209.jpg
I need a desert friendly dog - the coat on the breeds mentioned is far too heavy for this environment. Any other suggestions?

Great Pyrenees are bred in rural communities with a short coat in most of the deep South, they are used as livestock guardian dogs everywhere here in Alabama and don't seem to suffer in the heat as long as you don't get one of the uber fluffy lines.

Also look into Anatolian Shepherds.

Back
Top Bottom