Good Thoughts Today - DH Hip Replacement

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by booker81, Mar 14, 2012.

1. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Good thoughts welcome....DH is going in for his hip replacement this afternoon. He's only 38, but has severe degeneration of the joint - the xrays are pretty ugly, and the doctor was surprised he can walk, let alone climb trees every day (he's a line clearance tree trimmer). Luckily, it's only his one hip, the other is in good shape. He'll be off work for up to 3 months (due to his work, he can't go back until he's 100% healed, no "easy" jobs for him to do, it's all go the day he goes back). He's hoping he can be ready to go in two months.

This will be his first surgery under anesthetic, and his first hospital stay. He's pretty positive about it. He'll be getting a metal on metal implant instead of the ceramic or plastic, doctor thinks the metal on metal will be best due to his young age and his line of work. Doc is confident he will be able to return to his job and do it for a long time (until he retires, which is good as he's going to be on a pension, and doesn't have a 401k).

I hope the surgery goes well and is successful, and he heals quickly, and that he doesn't push it (though I know he will).

I'd appreciate any good healing thoughts, prayers, anything :)

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your husband!

[​IMG]

3. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Prayers!

4. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Good wishes for your husband and a perfect recovery. [​IMG]

5. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Well, it must have worked - his surgery went very well! Operation started at 4:15pm, finished around 6pm, and he went to his room at 7pm.

He called me at work at 3pm today and was ready to go home with the OK of the nurses and doc, so I picked him up about 4:30pm. He's resting in bed now, I changed his dressing, and the incision looks very good (and I've seen some very bad - on my surgery sites).

He says the joint hurts a lot less than it did before surgery, just a lot of muscle pain around it (as expected, doc said the muscles would hurt a lot from being opened up).

6. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Great news! [​IMG] Glad he's doing good.

A close family friend had his hip replaced when he was almost 70 years old. He had a fairly quick recovery without many complications and is still going strong today.

Continued good thoughts for your husband.

7. TabbyG

TabbyG Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Gloucester, Virginia
    Wow - he went home fast! I'm an x-ray tech for an orthopedic surgeon, so I know exactly what you guys are going through! Majority of our patients are over 50, with pre-existing medical conditions - which is why they stay as inpatients for much longer, and almost all of them are transferred to a re-hab facility post-operatively. So he must be doing FANTASTIC! Almost all of our patients come walking in at their 2 week post-op appointment, so hopefully he's up and at it soon! Glad things went well - hope they continue to go well!

8. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    He's doing very well, went in today to get his staples removed :) He's been moving around without crutches for a few days, gave them up completely yesterday.

He had a SERIOUS limp going on before, and he's had a tendency to try to limp like that (more like lurch). I've been hounding him - if he wants to walk without crutches, he has to walk STRAIGHT, no limping. If it's too sore, use the crutches and try to walk straight. He's walking better now than he has in 5 years. He says all the muscles on his whole leg ache - yup, because they haven't been used and you have to train them properly now!

He's adamant about doing his "exercises" all the time, and is careful not to bend the joint more than 90 degrees. He goes back in three weeks for another checkup, and then will start PT - the PT is more to get him back in shape for his job (very physical - he has to climb trees, lift heavy weights, stuff like that). For now, he just keeps up with his exercises from post-op, and just is moving around and doing house and yardword. :)

Before:

[​IMG]

After - (they took it before they took his staples out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Thank you for the update. Glad to hear he's doing well! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by