Good to set or not?

morganalefae

Head nut at the nut house
6 Years
May 2, 2017
Leicestershire UK
Got a order of 6 buff mottled pekin eggs and a order of 6 lemon pyle brahma's and must admit I was excited have let them sit for a few hours and I then candled for cracks etc. My question is how can I tell if the egg is old and should I put them in the Bator with cracks so fine you only see them once candled? The first 2 pictures is of one pekin egg with what looks like really fine cracks. And the next is a picture of what most of the Brahma eggs look like. 3 of the Brahma eggs have detached air cells but I watched a YouTube video on how a guy stood them up pointy end down in my egg box thingys and that he had had them hatch. Is that possible. Bit peeved as my first seller put the egg box inside of a card board box and then filled it all up these other 2 sellers did not. Any suggestions

Attachments

• IMG_20170527_145132.jpg
    IMG_20170527_145132.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20170527_145144.jpg
    IMG_20170527_145144.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20170527_150036.jpg
    IMG_20170527_150036.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20170527_150042.jpg
    IMG_20170527_150042.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 7
I see what you mean with the fist two pics. It almost looks as though another egg smacked it. Lot of different opinions. I can say if I had that egg I would put a pice of scotch tape on the obvious crack and set it, but I'd watch it very carefully in case bacteria gets in it cause you don't want an explosion. If there was no development by day 5 I'd pull it. I wouldn't have high hopes for it though. Many wouldn't risk it.

As for detached air cells, yes, I would incubate them upright in cut down cartons.

I would not put cracked eggs in an incubator. A cracked egg will not have a chance of an embryo, and bad eggs can contaminate a hatch with bacteria. And should one of them bust open you have a real mess. We candle our eggs, and if one seems like a dud, it is removed for that reason.

I have read of ppl putting candle wax on hairline cracked eggs and they some have had them hatch. I cut down and cleaned a plastic egg carton in hot soapy water hope it works I have a brinsea maxi Ii eco. If I can save a egg I will try if the egg does not take or smells bad I'll pull it.

Last edited:
I have read of ppl putting candle wax on hairline cracked eggs and they some have had them hatch. I cut down and cleaned a plastic egg carton in hot soapy water hope it works I have a brinsea maxi Ii eco. If I can save a egg I will try if the egg does not take or smells bad I'll pull it.
Yup, people have had success with wax as well.

Just used unscented tea light candle wax on the egg, hope it works and hope I have a few of the lemon brahma's and buff mottled pekins. I did contacted the 2 sellers I bought from maybe they can explain why the eggs were just shipped in the foam like egg boxes and taped with fragile tape I mean for almost £6 (near $8) the first seller I bought from had the egg box in another padded cardboard box for only a lil more rather then protect the eggs then do that bull I only bought from them as they had over 95% positive feedback and only pick ppl to buy eggs from with 95%+. Bit disappointed they only want feedback on their service and packaging. I don't think they want my feed back.

My shipped silkie eggs were awesome. She individually wrapped each egg in bubble wrap. Put them in a box tightly packed with shredded paper, put that box in a slightly larger box and packed pine bedding between the two boxes. Not a single detached air cell. A couple wobbly ones, but they firmed right back up within 24 hours. Everyone I know that has gotten eggs from her have had awesome results.

I would love silkies but I live in the UK where it can be sunny one minute and flooding the next in some areas and I know silkies should not get wet. Love them tho they look funny. Hope the air sacs do what they need to do by 9-10am my time in putting them in a plastic egg carton thingy.

Back
Top Bottom