Good treats for baby chicks

Pics
VID_20230305_202536945_exported_2867~2.jpg

We only have 2 chicks and they're 2.5 weeks old, so most of the time they only get chick food. A few days ago I bought a Manna Pro Chick Stick for the cuties to nibble on when we have them out for play time, and they enjoy pecking at it. They also have their regular food crumbles and chick grit that they've scattered everywhere, and I'm pleased that they alternate between the stick and regular food rather than only going for the treat. We also give them just a couple dried meal worm fragments when we want their attention.

I haven't had any luck tempting my 2 week old chicks with anything, tried things from wetted feed to small bits of lettuce but they're still really shy or completely uninterested in the treats.

It's heartening to hear that they'll grow more interested in feed over time though, these chickens are mostly being raised as family pets so we do want them to be friendly

Starting about two weeks post-hatch my chicks begin showing interest in consuming greens, especially the rapidly growing tender shoots. They will invest considerable effort going after such tidbits. Plants I see them pay particular interest in are clovers and grasses that are short. The chickens can get vitamins and complex carbohydrates from such intake. The consumption of the plant materials normally increases as the birds mature although our society has lost working knowledge about this when it comes to chickens.

Live insects like cultured mealworms or crickets are very nutritious, at least comparable to the best chicken feeds I can buy, and the chicks relish them! I make so my chicks have to work for them by jumping up on to some surface or even flying too me for an insect. Consumption of insects can start as the very first meal. The downside is the cost which is much higher than feed plus there is limited "shelf life".

The only treat I give chicks is egg yolk in their mash or a chick stick. They don't need treats. If they're bored you can get them some parakeet ladders, mirrors, or little swings but they don't always use them. Alternatively, if its warm enough where you live, you can take them on little field trips outside for an hour or so at a time. They are growing-they don't need treats just their food.
How would you have them outside? Like in a contained fenced area? We have 3 acres but nothing fenced, so I would need to acquire something. We are also still under 3 feet of snow, so it will be a while before I can take them out (my girls are 4 weeks old)

How would you have them outside? Like in a contained fenced area? We have 3 acres but nothing fenced, so I would need to acquire something. We are also still under 3 feet of snow, so it will be a while before I can take them out (my girls are 4 weeks old)
We’re in the same boat - have about 5’ of snow left. I’m planning on using one of our old dog kennels - it has a removable bottom tray, and is protected on three sides by coated mesh. Of course, this is once we finally get our chicks. With this Neverending Winter, that’s probably a good thing!

Back
Top Bottom