Good treats for baby chicks?

Boiled eggs are very good for chickens. If you think about it, when chicks are in eggs the yolk is their source of food. It is a perfect source of nutrition.

They love Meal worms. I got a little can of 500 live ones form Wild Birds Unlimited for like $7. After they have eaten them all you should see them start to forage looking for more. Its a sight.

Also Crickets are really entertaining. If you can stomach it, you may have to tear off a back leg to make it catchable.
Thanks for this! I have 3 broodies (RIR, Australop and Alcona) that are about a month old. Is it okay to give them dried mealworms as a rare treat?

I love my new chicks. The are almost 4 weeks old now and their favorite is definitely meal worms..... however..... I did boil and egg and diced it up and they seemed a little impressed with my choice.... the next day I tried tomato... they were pleased and last night I tried diced up apples which I think comes in second to the meal worms above anything else. I do, on occasion, sprinkle parakeet grit, around the shavings..... I read somewhere it can help with digestion....
Their poops all seem normal... they have been outside on days above 65 and just love hunting for bugs and worms... ( with my help of course )
I am sure to always give them plenty of treats from my hands so they know I always have goodies and they won't be afraid of me. We are working on the coop and they should be ready for outdoors in about a month.....
This is my first experience and I just do a lot of reading and hope I'm doing the right thing.... so far... so good! :)

So many awesome treat ideas!
Mine are four weeks old as of today and mostly have gotten little clovers and grass (when it's warm enough to go outside in their run supervised for a few minutes). I also offered them dried mealworms and they didn't like them at first but now a few of them will take them.
What about carrot peelings? I remember our older chickens loved them when they were babies but I don't remember how old they were. Are these too young for that?
Definitely going to have to try the spaghetti! :D

Meal worms, hard boiled eggs and grass clippings are all Ive done so far. I've also introduced grit when I feed the treats. My chicks are 6 weeks old.

Just wondering, it's safe to start introducing treats at 4-6 weeks right? I've been told to wait...but As I've read here(and my own opinion) it seems it okay, right?

I fed mine veggie scraps , greens and even sod cuts from end of week 1.

For what not to eat i go by a parrot chart, I have a parrot and what I know he can't have they don't get either.

What kind of yogurt do you give your chicks? My three 7 week olds have loved meal worms (crumbled at first) and anything they can find outside during the day!
I thought I'd bump it up and give them yogurt like other people do, and I swear, they looked at me like I had completely ruined their day. Normally friendly and curious, they were disgusted by it....
Thoughts?

Mine are just over 6 weeks and so far they've had...

Mealworms (dried)- love them!
Scrambled eggs- love it!
Apples- chopped- not a favorite
Cabbage- shredded- holy cow... they loved it!
Carrots- chopped-- not a favorite
And they always have access to Chick Grit---- We place a small bowl of grit in their run/coop as I think they'd eat this instead of their feed if we'd let them.

We love watching these beauties change from day to day, what fantastic little personalities they all have!

Back
Top Bottom