Good treats for baby chicks?

We're new to this too but we read that ground up, but not into flour, of old fashion rolled oats made into a slurry was good for them. I also added one teaspoon of Greek Gods strawberry honey yogurt to it and they devoured it in no time flat! Before I gave it to the rest though, we have a weak baby, and we had to hand feed her with a straw. She wouldn't make any noise before and she  is peeping a bit and waddles around. Going to have to keep a eye on her to make sure she pulls through but I think little Hope will.
i hope she makes it! I would also add the crumbled boiled egg yolks to your oatmeal slurry, it has so many nutrients our little babies need. Also, are you making sure there is grit intake with the oats?

I need to know how much (holding) is too much. I would love to hold and love my babies, 1 week old, but know better to hold them too much...I would also love for them to quit running from me like the plague. Also, I have one SLW that a friend said was a male...they were all female from the hatchery...well, was sposta be. This one likes to tell everyone what to do and it fights every time I try to pick it up. Again they are only 1 week. Right now I only pick them up and say pretty baby and put them back down. When I clean the brooder I place them in a box, clean, then put them back. When can I put them in my lap and start talking to them?

Right away! You need to hold them every day. Several times a day if possible. It really helps if you offer boiled, crumbled egg yolk from your hand while they are in your lap & coo & talk gently to them the whole time & hold at least 2 at a time so they aren't freaking out over being separated from their brooder buddies. While they are going nuts over the treat gently rub the backs of their heads & necks with a fingertip to desensitize them to your touch. When they get their fill, they will relax & hunker down into the heat of your lap. They usually like a warm hand cupped over them while they nap on you. Mine really like to fall asleep to me evet so gently rubbing their heads & necks. The way to a chicken's heart is definitely through their tummy. If they learn to associate your voice & touch with a belly full of delicious treat followed by safe, warm, relaxing snuggle time they will soon come running to your hand when you put it in the brooder. Just make sure they can get a drink of water after about 15-20 minutes, & have paper towels in easy reach for quick poo clean up.

Thank you for the great info. My little ones are a week and a half. I was also wondering if letting them go outside to 'play' is enough grit. They eat everything on the ground and I have a gravel drive....would it be enough grit so I could start feeding them other things. Thank you again

Thank you for the great info. My little ones are a week and a half. I was also wondering if letting them go outside to 'play' is enough grit. They eat everything on the ground and I have a gravel drive....would it be enough grit so I could start feeding them other things. Thank you again
It is usually recommended that you give them grit besides what they pick up outside because they usually don't get enough of it on their outings. Here is our little 3 week old Columbian Wayndotte, Ziggy, loving the pets from Daddy:

My new babies are 1 week and I have watched momma show them what to eat and what not to eat.. so funny to watch.. You can acually hear the difference in her voice telling them its ok or not !! she also wont eat treats until she shares with the kids!! I only have an issue keeping water and food free of dirt!! mom scratches till its covered in dirt and shavings... any suggestions?? thanks

Back
Top Bottom