Good Uses for Quail Eggs

Oh, or sometimes I just use the existing pickle brine from a jar of good pickles once they're gone! That always works in a pinch.

My husband loves his pickled in the zesty dill juice. I always think the recipes I find are too vinegary :idunno

I pickle them. My recipe is half water and half vinegar with 4T salt per 5C of liquid, boil and pour over peeled eggs in jars. I like to put in a few fresh cloves of garlic and a couple of tsp of red pepper flakes, sometimes dill seeds (in the jars, not boiled with the brine). Shredded onion is good, so are peppers like pepperoncini. I also like to add 1T of curry powder; they end up yellow! You can also boil beets in the water to make the brine red and the eggs pink. They are great on salads.

Better to keep them for a couple of weeks before boiling so they peel easier. I heat up the water with the eggs, simmer for 5 minutes, and then shock them with ice water to shrink the insides for peeling. The yolk tends to end up off-center a lot of times, so it's careful work to peel them without breaking into the yolk.

An extra large chicken egg is about 60 grams, so you need 4 or 5 quail eggs per, depending on the size of your quail eggs. They have a bit more yolk to white ratio, and one thing you can't do with quail eggs is separate the eggs and yolks. A lot of the white clings to the yolk, so they aren't good for custards etc. Believe me I've tried.

I pickle them. My recipe is half water and half vinegar with 4T salt per 5C of liquid, boil and pour over peeled eggs in jars. I like to put in a few fresh cloves of garlic and a couple of tsp of red pepper flakes, sometimes dill seeds (in the jars, not boiled with the brine). Shredded onion is good, so are peppers like pepperoncini. I also like to add 1T of curry powder; they end up yellow! You can also boil beets in the water to make the brine red and the eggs pink. They are great on salads.

Better to keep them for a couple of weeks before boiling so they peel easier. I heat up the water with the eggs, simmer for 5 minutes, and then shock them with ice water to shrink the insides for peeling. The yolk tends to end up off-center a lot of times, so it's careful work to peel them without breaking into the yolk.

An extra large chicken egg is about 60 grams, so you need 4 or 5 quail eggs per, depending on the size of your quail eggs. They have a bit more yolk to white ratio, and one thing you can't do with quail eggs is separate the eggs and yolks. A lot of the white clings to the yolk, so they aren't good for custards etc. Believe me I've tried.

Thanks! I'm going to try this option for the pickling and see how hubs likes it.

I cut the eggs with quail egg scissors and gently just drop them in soup. Boil them for 3-4 mins and they stay intact as
20180827_161136.jpg
egg balls. Stunningly easy and amazingly nice.

Back
Top Bottom