GOODBYE ANDREW

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sundance, Oct 14, 2007.

1. I went out this morning to turn my RIR's out of the coop into the yard and one of my roos decided he wanted to fight me. He ran up to me and put his wing on the ground and came at me. Sorry, I don't like that so i ran him around the chicken yard until i caught him.Strange sight on a Sunday morning ,a 70 year old woman running down a rooster at 6:00 in the morning. I carried him around until I got all the rest fed and watered, put him down them General Manchu (roo # 2) wanted to be boss, so he came at me to. since i still had the stick in my hand that i had used to catch Andrew i swung at him, good thing i missed. but he got the message any way. so tomorrow when we go to the co-op to get feed a notice of for sale will also go with me for Andrew. [​IMG]

Mother to 24 RIR, 1 Pit bull, 1 poodle mix 1yorkie and 1 cat someone dropped off .

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Did he spur you? Usually when they put the wing down, they are dancing for you.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I bet he was dancing too...If a rooster wants to attack you he won't dance first! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  4. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    thats very interesting about the rooster.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    If he put his wing down he was dancing, not attacking.

6. He may have been dancing, but he is also gonna be gone

7. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Excuse me for interupting on this thread, but what is "dancing"? What type of behavior does this represent? When a roo is going to attack are there any distinct behaviorial signs?

8. wolfpack62001

wolfpack62001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    New Brockton, Alabama
    The Roo was showing Rooster Love.
    Its a mating thing:D

9. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    Hey,
    I had a rooster that started dancing to me, than as soon as I turned my back he bit me. Every time I would go out he would come up dancing, and sneaking behind me. I gave him to my niece. I went to visit them and as soon as he saw me he started coming at me dancing... But never did that to her. So I hear ya!!!

10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Quote:Usually running full force towards you then flying up to extend spurs right in your face. That's what i experienced with the mean rooster i had 20 years ago.

Never have seen the dancing thing, though. That sounds sort of sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by