Goodbye Grizelda

columbiacritter

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
Scappoose Oregon
The feedstore clerk didn't even know if she was a chicken when I got her. She was a nasty dirty wad of feathers in the bottom of a box dumped on their doorstep. Somewhat against my better judgement I let him talk me into taking her home. Six wks in isolation, 3 doses of wormer, treatment for lice, high cal chow, she was still a mottley bird, but she was healthy.

11550_griselda.jpg

don't think she'd ever been allowed to free range, she took forever to figure out how to eat anything that wasn't in a feeder. She stayed on the gravel paths for weeks, refusing to step onto the grass, then she discovered bugs! Yum!!!!

She finally got bold enough to enjoy outties. She never was a bright bird. We called her the shorty bus chicken for the number of times she got lost and had to be carried back to the coop after dark.

She only gave us a few dozen blue green eggs in the two years she was with us, but she entertaining. Over the last few weeks she just got tired, I think she was really old. She ate a huge meal of scratch and leftover spaghetti then died on her perch that night.

It's so heartbreaking when this happens, isn't it. I am terribly sorry for your loss and I hope she has left you with good memories. I'm sure she will be missed, she sounds like she was a fun little bird. And she was so beautiful.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss. Grizelda sure looks like she was a beautiful girl. It sounds like you gave her a wonderful two years of life with you once you addressed those medical issues with her--truly a "rescue" chicken! Keep her fondly in your memories. I'm sure you will.
hugs.gif

Aww, sweet story! So sorry she passed, but you gave her a little piece of heaven she never knew before! That should make your heart happy!
hugs.gif

She was one beautiful EE! Glad you took her in! Sorry that she passed on but at least she had a happy home with you!

Last edited:
Her colors were amazing.
smile.png
It sounds like she had a wonderful life with you - and who wouldn't want to die in their sleep, full of spaghetti?
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom