Google doesnt know! Chick with unusual behaviors

Bentleefarms

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2021
I have a chick that I hatched with about 24 others that it's about 3 weeks old. Last Wednesday it began loudly complaining constantly. When it's siblings we're placed in an outdoor recreation pen they would run and flap their wings, but not this guy. He would sit and complain.

On Thursday he continued to complain and I noticed it wouldnt eat or drink, so I became a Google wizard and started searching for answers.

Prior to getting sick he was eating fermented nonmedicated chick starter, on pine shavings when inside, using a heating pad "hen" made from a tomato cage, shower anti slip mat, and the heating pad.

Thursday
*started it on electrolytes
* and mixed some cooked egg yolks in electrolyte water and fed via syringe.
* dropping were regular solid droppings with a white patch and some excited with clear water.
*stands balanced and walks with ease when decides to.

Friday/Saturday/Sunday
* continued the process above adding in fermented starter mash
*continued to complain constantly
* declined food or water naturally
*no change in droppings
* no obvious weakness
* began spending more time with me

Monday
* everything is the same as above
* worth noting- he had a moment of frenzy. I encourage him to move around and he began scratching at everything feverishly and pecking. I offered him dry starter and he couldn't seem to get his aim right to get it. This lasted about 2 minutes before returning back to his new normal of complaints.
* droppings and strength continue to be normal.

Monday night
*I added some grit in his meal (still feeding it forcefully) and he is only fed small amounts frequently and given water at each feeding.
* added acv and some olive oil to his electrolytes mix
* messaged his crop and hear air, so fed some antifungal from the dollar store.

Today
The morning started off with his new normal and he was with me. I fed him about 3 times before.... it is important to know as I do things I place him in a clean pen with food and water and his normal reaction is to sit. And complain. I tapped at the water and he walked over (what!?) And he drank! On his own! He then lit into a fever of scratching and pecking. He ate! Not much, but he did it with coordination! I wanted to see how he would do with his siblings now so I placed him with them and he immediately approached one to spar. I let him stay out for about 20 minutes when I checked him he had returned to his complaining self.

I brought him in with me and we are back on our routine. I'm still messaging his crop often and I can feel it tighten up and release. Any ideas on how to help him fully recover, or what is going on with him?

I'm updating this to help someone who might come across this later. 1 week and 1 day since the start of the situation and Chi'kii is looking good. He has stopped yelling and is still slow when with his siblings. I can get him to eat when I tap the bowl like a new chick. I am now giving him water with acv and fermented chick starter. I still have no idea what the issue was/is. He isnt perfect, but hes a house chicken now :D

20210609_185929.jpg

Back
Top Bottom