goopie bottom

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mama dixie, Oct 6, 2012.

1. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    I have a barred rock hen that we got on the 25 of march. she is acting sick and I don't know what is wrong. she is panting, her belly feels swollen and warm and she had a bunch of poo stuck to her bottom, I cleaned her up and saw it looked like she was trying to poo or pass an egg as her vent area was kinda looking that way at least. I put her in a warm water bath thinking is she is sick it will not hurt and if she is egg bound it could help. I have started the whole flock on duramiacin just because I don't know what is causing this. she does seem to have runny yellow stool and is passing gas believe it or not, who knew a chicken could toot.

any ideas what I should do....

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i wonder if an egg broke inside her. If so, the pieces should pass. You're doing the right thing with the warm baths.If her belly is swollen she could be laying internally. i don't think anything can be done about that. i've never had that happen here. Others may know better.

You may want to get a fecal sample to a vet to see if she has worms.

3. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    thank you so much for replying I so appreciate it. I wish I could take a sample to the vet we are having trouble just keeping gas in the car for my hubby to get to and from work and get our son to school. I will do another warm water bath and will try to get her to eat and will just keep praying. she moves so slow I think because she is not eating well. I will make her some scrambled eggs with apple yogurt and peanut butter and Somme bird seed. I am going to put apple cider vinegar in the water for them all today and then I may give her some cod liver oil. I figure this with the warm water bath may just help her, I dont know though..

I will try the wazine wormer and hold off on the apple cider vineger for today.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i understand completely. You have to make choices with limited resources. And it very well may be that if you took her to a vet, they wouldn't be able to recommend anything other than what you are doing now.

It couldn't hurt to worm her and the rest of your flock. Here is a thread that discusses worming. Scroll down and read what Threehorses recommends. i've been following her protocol.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/216407/de-worming-and-wazine-concern

Everything you wrote sounds fine. i'm just not sure about the cod liver oil. i've never used that on chickens. It may be fine. i'm just not familiar with it.

i hope she pulls through. Please keep us posted on how she does.

5. Bellurd

Bellurd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    Woodland Hills, Ca
    It could also be Ascites. Fluid starts building in their abdomen and puts pressure on the lungs. It can make their butts so swollen that they start catching the poo. If she feels soft and squishy like a water ballon, that's probably the case. You can easily drain her at home if so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by