goopy eyes, help?

shaft0463

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
A few days ago, hubby and I noticed that one of our roosters had goopy eyes, and that he was keeping them shut. We quarantined him, flushed his eyes with saline, and gave him a bit of antibiotics in his water. He looked better, so we let him back out. The next day, a hen had the same issue so we quarantined her, flushed her eyes, same deal. Then the following day, the rooster is looking worse. So back into quarantine he went.

Both chickens have been a bit lethargic, which I would expect from the goopy eyes (which they are keeping shut quite a bit). They are both eating however, and I have not noticed any other symptoms. The third eyelid is white though.

What is this? How do I treat it? The vets around here don't do chickens, so that's not really an option. I do have some young chickens though, and I don't want whatever this is to spread to the rest of the flock.

I guess I should add that I did worm them all recently, using SafeGuard. That was maybe 3 weeks ago. We also lost another hen around 3 weeks ago, but she never had these symptoms. She was fine one day and all but dead the next. By the time we got her to my FIL for him to have a look, she had died. Her issues seemed to be difficulty breathing, and she also wouldn't walk. Nothing odd with her eyes, and FIL said she had not eaten in a while since there was no food in her crop. So that doesn't seem to be related to me.

We are going to get some eye ointment tomorrow at TSC. I used to have some, but cannot figure out where it might be.

At least they are fighting having their eyes flushed, and hubby saw them eat this morning.

Back
Top Bottom