Goose behavior seems...... Well, I don't know.

crj

Songster
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Rocky Point, NC
Maybe someone can explain some goose behaviors to me. I have 4 geese, 2 sebastapols (8 mths old), 1 super african and 1 american buff which are 6 months old and both female. Lately I've noticed them to be a bit noisiery then usual. I think it's my male sebbie that has been vocal...... high pitched mostly. I don't know if they are just very chatty with the warm weather or if they are yelling at the runner ducks.

The one I'm really curious about is the super african goose. I find that she spends more time alone these days. She is quite vocal at times. Today she wasn't around so I went looking for her. I walked around the yard and called for her. She must have seen be because she made a sound that is distinctly hers and I found her sitting in a dog house nice and comfy. This dog house is really a duck/turkey house. I had a turkey try and hatch eggs in there last year. No go. It's just a spare place for the birds to go. I tossed some hay inside last week in case some birds wanted to lay some eggs. No luck. Anyway, she didn't come out but she just let me no that she was inside safe and sound. Do you think she could be getting ready to lay an egg? Her motherly instincts starting to kick in?

Our weather has been unseasonably warm..... I'm not complaining..... lol. I live in Southeastern, NC which is near the coast not far from the SC boarder. We have sub-tropical weather. Today it was in the 70's which is warm for this time of year. It should be in the 50's. Although my chickens are not really laying eggs but I'm wondering the weather is playing tricks on my geese. Nothing unusual about the other 2 female geese. The african is very fond of me as well and is the only goose that will come up to me and want to be pet. She's not big on being held but she doesn't mind if I rub the base of her neck or halfway up. She will also let me pet her chest and back. Sometimes she just stands next to me and stares at my legs..... lol. She's a neat goose. Her being by herself more is sort of bothering me a bit. I don't know what to make of that.

Quote:
That's good. I think she will make a good mother. I see her rearrange the duck eggs.... lol. She doesn't sit on them though just pushes them around. Glad she is practicing and for some time now too. What about her being by her self more often? She isn't hiding but she is distant a lot of the day from the others.

Shoot, I may know the answer to that. I think she is looking for the radio. She LOVES the radio and I haven't had it outside in a while. This could be why she is not with the others. Waiting for the radio to come outside. I'll let you know if that's the case.

The geese are starting to mate. Yep, I saw 2 of them in the pool yesterday. Today the super african was in the spare house again. She covered the nest this time so I will have to get my daughter in there to check and see if she left an egg. This is pretty darn cool.

Quote:
celebrate.gif
pop.gif

Quote:
Ok Miss Lydia, I found 4 goose eggs today!
ep.gif
woot.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif
clap.gif
thumbsup.gif
love.gif

Awesome, do you think she'll be sitting soon? can't wait to see pictures of baby goslings...
wee.gif
caf.gif

I don't know. This is her first time laying. She is only 6 months old.

Back
Top Bottom