GOOSE BREEDING THREAD - for breeding, incubating, hatching and rearing.

Quick question, this is my first time hatching geese, do they need their beak dipped in water only once, like a chick? Or many times over several days, like a turkey? I had one hatch early, it will have to share an incubator with some chicks until more geese hatch.

I NEED ADVICE ALL YOU MOTHER DUCKERS!

1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f33e.png
1f33e.png
1f33e.png
1f33e.png
1f33e.png
1f33e.png
1f33e.png
1f33e.png
I live in MT, sometimes we get -20 in the dead of winter. I am getting baby ducks & geese in June. Trying to perfect their giant predator proof run that they will stay in when I am at work or not home (free range when I am home) I want to know if I can put wild sagebrush in their pen? Is it toxic? Will they destroy it completely? Also, I would like to add wild grass that grows in our fields. Does anyone have any helpful info on sagebrush & ducks, geese? I think it would be perfect- cold hardy, thick wood branches, little maintenance, ect. Of anyone can help, I would be very much appreciative. I cannot find any info on Google that relates with ducks & sagebrush!
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png

I have a very dominat gander that chases my goslings to show them whos boss. My only issue is one of my goslings is a little crippled i took it to the vet and he let me know the leg is turned outa little on the right side and it will just be slowed down with a strange gait. Hes growing and getting the proper nutrition im just worried he will get stomped or trampled he can walk and run a little but nothing like the healthy ones can. Should i pen up my meanie my other ganders do a wonderful job. I dont want to eat this gander but im getting really close to it if he doesn't straighten up. My girls will be hatching their own broods outside soon. Is this dominance cuz i raised these goslings inside will he treat the others differently if they hatch with their mothers?

I NEED ADVICE ALL YOU MOTHER DUCKERS!

1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f33e.png
1f33e.png
1f33e.png
1f33e.png
1f33e.png
1f33e.png
1f33e.png
1f33e.png
I live in MT, sometimes we get -20 in the dead of winter. I am getting baby ducks & geese in June. Trying to perfect their giant predator proof run that they will stay in when I am at work or not home (free range when I am home) I want to know if I can put wild sagebrush in their pen? Is it toxic? Will they destroy it completely? Also, I would like to add wild grass that grows in our fields. Does anyone have any helpful info on sagebrush & ducks, geese? I think it would be perfect- cold hardy, thick wood branches, little maintenance, ect. Of anyone can help, I would be very much appreciative. I cannot find any info on Google that relates with ducks & sagebrush!
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png

I think that the sagebrush will neither harm nor attract the waterfowl, I have been assured that they will not eat lavender plants, and I believe that sage is related to lavender. Some people in my area use geese to weed around their lavender crops, since they won't actually eat it. Hopefully someone that knows more will jump in here.

I think that the sagebrush will neither harm nor attract the waterfowl, I have been assured that they will not eat lavender plants, and I believe that sage is related to lavender. Some people in my area use geese to weed around their lavender crops, since they won't actually eat it. Hopefully someone that knows more will jump in here.

Thank you for your response! We are limited to what we can grow here in MT. We only have 3-4 months of growing season, so our selection is kind of limited.Do you have any other advice as far as plants, trees, ect?

What grow zone are you in? I'm in zone 6a, and both lavender and rosemary grow perenially here, despite frozen ground and sevetal feet of snow. Red twig dogwood also grows really well here. Were you wanting to grow bushes for them to eat, or bushes that they won't eat? Also, even though you only have 3 to 4 months of growing season, the light hours are increased because of being so far north of the equator, so anuals will still grow very fast during that time. I am growing kale and collards for my geese.

What grow zone are you in? I'm in zone 6a, and both lavender and rosemary grow perenially here, despite frozen ground and sevetal feet of snow. Red twig dogwood also grows really well here. Were you wanting to grow bushes for them to eat, or bushes that they won't eat? Also, even though you only have 3 to 4 months of growing season, the light hours are increased because of being so far north of the equator, so anuals will still grow very fast during that time. I am growing kale and collards for my geese.

I will Def try lavender. I would like plants they won't eat & I am setting them up a garden, just for them. All duck & geese treats, but it will be closed of most of the time & I will let them in to splurge once a week or so. I am in hardy zones 4-6b. What about in your run? Are you able to keep grass cover or is it not worth laying sod if they are just going to demolish it lol. I am building a huge run, I can't figure out what to cover the ground with. Right now it is that really light dusty dirt, I know will turn into a muddied mess, so I need to figure out an alternative. They will have a small pond in their run & a large pond outside of it when they free range (only when I'm home) I was thinking fine pea gravel around the pond area, I don't know what to do with the rest of the run. I've read about doing it all pea gravel, but fear about bumble foot... was.thinking sand, but with 6 ducks & 3 geese, I don't think I'll be able to keep it clean! Any suggestions? If I lay sod in their run, will they demolish it quicker than it can keep up? Do you have any experience with pea gravel? What ground cover is easiest for the run?

Here is a list of beneficial herbs that are grown in 5b near me for chicken health boosters: (dried and added to the nesting boxes)
Catnip - calming sedative, insect repellent
Dill - antioxidant, relaxant, respiratory health, stimulates the appetite, aids in digestion, promotes feather growth
Fennel - laying stimulant, boosts reproductive health, insect repellent
Garlic - laying stimulant, anti-fungal, benefits circulatory and respiratory system, relieves diarrhea
Lavender - stress reliever, increases blood circulation, highly aromatic, insect repellent
Citrus Peel- highly aromatic, lowers stress, antibacterial, repels rodents
Marigold/Calendula - vibrant egg yolks, insect repellent, antioxidant, laying stimulant
Marjoram - laying stimulant, decongestant, improves blood circulation, detoxifier
Mint - insect and rodent repellent, antioxidant, aids in respiratory health, digestive aid, antiseptic, stimulates nerve, brain and blood functions
Oregano - an antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, combats coccidia, salmonella, infectious bronchitis,
Sage - antioxidant, anti-parasitic, general health promoter, thought to combat Salmonella, laying stimulant
Rose Petals - highly aromatic, high in Vitamin C, antioxidant
Rosemary - pain reliever, respiratory health, insect repellent
Thyme - aids in respiratory and immune system health, antibacterial, antioxidant, anti-parasitic, laying stimulant, insect repellent
Chickweed- helps with inflammations of the digestive, renal, respiratory and reproductive tracts
Bay Leaves - antiseptic, antioxidant, immune system booster, insect repellent
Ginger - stress reducer, anti-oxidant
Cinnamon - promotes healthy breathing
Raspberry Leaf - antioxidant, relaxant, supports healthy reproductive system.
Alfalfa-high nutritional value, abundant source of protein, essential vitamins (including A, D, E, K and the full family of B vitamins) and minerals (biotin, calcium, folic acid, iron, magnesium, potassium
Dandelion - general health tonic, laying stimulant
Cayenne pepper - aids circulation, appetite stimulant, antiseptic, digestive enhancement
Chamomile - kills mites and lice, repels fleas, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, calming, detoxifier
Basil - antibacterial, mucus membrane and respiratory health, orange egg yolks, repels flies and mosquitoes

As for run material, I have never been able to keep anything alive planted in the run, we have to grow them in pots and add to the run in a pot until they eat it. Sawdust or sand would be the easiest to keep clean, you can rake up the poo pretty easily with either. Gravel does not sound good to me, I can not imagine how to keep that clean and I wouldn't guess that they would like to walk on that, plus extreme temps might cause a problem for their feet. My ducks and geese just run free on my property and nibble whatever grass they want, so they don't deplete the grass, plus the droppings fertilize the grass. The chickens will soon be moved to summer chicken tractors, so I don't have to mow or grow them plants. I have no idea how to grow plants in the run for them, as it's covered to keep snow and rain off, please let me know how it goes for you.

Back
Top Bottom