GOOSE BREEDING THREAD - for breeding, incubating, hatching and rearing.

Hi there, Thanks for the wonderful information i just want to make sure of something if you could assist. I have damaged air cell shipped chicken eggs. What I understand is that I have to keep them in an upright position. We are by day 11 now. I did turn them on day 8 but the air cells still seem to be like saddle baggs. Must I tilt them or move them every day or must I keep them still in the upright position. My question is how important is it to move them? Please help

Hi there, Thanks for the wonderful information i just want to make sure of something if you could assist. I have damaged air cell shipped chicken eggs. What I understand is that I have to keep them in an upright position. We are by day 11 now. I did turn them on day 8 but the air cells still seem to be like saddle baggs. Must I tilt them or move them every day or must I keep them still in the upright position. My question is how important is it to move them? Please help

The importance of moving eggs is highest in the first 14ish days. The first couple of days is ok to not turn them, when trying to get shipped egg air cells to reattach, but days 2-10 are very critical. I know folks that stop turning on day 14 without issue.

Just to clarify - I'm talking chicken egg numbers - although this is the Goose section :D

The critical part has to do with the CAM development. That's the network of blood vessels that needs to disperse throughout the egg. The development naturally rises to the highest point (upright, it would be up toward the air cell; eggs on their side, would be whatever side is up). So turning them promotes the CAM to disperse through the entire egg.
So you should be able to tell if yours are ok by candling and checking to see that the network is throughout the egg, not just localized in one area. Does that make sense?

To explain what I mean with a picture, this was taken on day 7. Its a duck egg, but same principle. I took this picture in the middle of a turn. (my call duck eggs do better when manually rolled) See how the blood vessels are all on one side and the other side looks clear? The vessels were on top before I started the roll. After the roll, they are on the bottom, but they naturally work their way back to the top. (its pretty cool to actually watch it happen).
IMG_1831.JPG

I have a trio of six month-old Pilgrim geese. I saw the male take hold of one of the chickens by her back end and hold on as she tried to get away. Then the two females tried to bite her and the hen was trying to pull away. I went to intervene, but they saw me coming and let go. I've never seen the geese aggressive with the hens before. The geese have been with the chickens (18 hens, 2 roosters) since they were 7 weeks old. What's up?? When I went to check later, they were all mingling just fine. Any explanation? My first time with geese...

Same thing happened here I originally had just the pair of geese then they raised 2 goslings a pair. the original 2 never messed with the chickens or ducks except my gander and drake would get into it. Muscovy drake Embden gander but once the 2 gosling became adults the 4 of them together became a gang of thugs they would circle a hen and it looked like they had murder on their minds they would also do it 2 a few of my Muscovy females, it was a very hard decision to make but I rehomed the 2 youngest. Now it's back to everyone living together in relative peace other during breeding season when the gander and drake are back at it. I don't know the answer for you other that giving the geese their own space and house No way could my 2 geese live in the same house with the chickens and ducks during mating season.

Back
Top Bottom