GOOSE BREEDING THREAD - for breeding, incubating, hatching and rearing.

Joy is now hanging outside with everyone else, and so far none of the other girls have shown any sign of going broody although they are laying.
So Joy changed her mind, then.... did she even start brooding the eggs? Or did she not even stay put?
Do you have a now-laying muscovy that goes broody readily? For example, if Joy didn´t even start brooding, then the eggs could still be good, (and you still have the other 2), and if you pop them in the nest of a muscovy that is most likely to go broody soon, that may encourage her even sooner, then she may just succeed in hatching them for you. Then if you get another broody goose or duck, you could try another 4 under that one. ???? Don´t give up!
big_smile.png

Don't give up just yet! I have girls going broody left and right on me this week, including my darling Beignet who only has 3 eggs in her nest now, and it happens so quickly.

I realized that Beignet is not broody yet. She was out this afternoon and there was a 4th egg in her nest. She is staying on them at night, presumably to keep them from freezing and to otherwise protect them. But she is obviously building a larger clutch before hunkering down. I plan to swap out her eggs for white Africans next week and let her hatch my goslings for me. I can send you the eggs I take away from her.

In the meantime, I have a 2yo African playing at going broody. Sunshine, my yearling buff dewlap has been 100% broody for 4 days now and one of my muscovies has been 100% broody for about a week. She has her nest under my front porch deep in the back corner. I have zero clue if her eggs are fertile and no way to access her nest to candle.... so we will have to wait and see if she marches out with babies in a few weeks.

Spring is in the air.
love.gif

And the first incubator egg of the season to pip is .... a bronze breasted turkey poult!
jumpy.gif

Now I just have to sit on my hands until bed time and hope the geese and ducks also not only pip but hatch fully before I get up in the morning, otherwise I'm going to be a 'bator hoverer all day and get nothing done.
pop.gif

So our lovely couple here just laid their first eggs, im super excited! This is my first time having geese lay. We think we have 3 females and one male, but aren't sure. I hope they end up hatching some lol

Back
Top Bottom