GOOSE BREEDING THREAD - for breeding, incubating, hatching and rearing.

Can anybody tell me at what age do geese start to lay
smile.png
Mine have been around 9 months old

Will adult geese on rear baby geese once they start laying? I have 4 month old geese right now and I would like to get more in a month or so and was curious if these current geese could rear my new ones? I wouldn't think they can but just curious.

By the way i was just wondering about lockdown, i know that lockdown starts when they internally pip, but Do u have to candle to check when they have internally pipped, is it when they all have, or just one, and what day should i start to candle to check, Wow! Lots of questions lol ahah
1f602.png
1f602.png

Well as long as we're all on an egg asking kick I might as well throw my question into the ring too! I believe my goose is done laying her clutch of 8, but I never see her sitting on them during the day. It's only at their bedtime, when they are shut in their house, that I ever see her sit on them. Is this normal for a first year layer, could she still be going to lay more eggs, or should I be worried that she has basically abandoned them and move them into an incubator? And when geese do decide to sit on their eggs, do they sit all day long, or are they like chickens and get off for a few minutes several times a day? Or can they stay off for longer periods and if so, how long can she be off of them before I have to start to worry?
Sorry about all the repetitive questions, but this is my first (along with my geese's) year breeding geese and I want to try to give them the best conditions possible to hatch their eggs in.

Thanks in advance for your answers !!!

-kim-

Last fall I purchased 2 geese, sex unknown. Now I'm getting an egg a day for the last 3 days. I'd like to think I have a goose & a gander, but I've been reading on here that they lay every other day. So I have 2 geese, no gander?

I've been taking the eggs & leaving a ceramic one in the nest (From Cracker Barrel). Since it's finally going to be above freezing overnight & doesn't look like it's supposed to go below 26 degrees at night, & above freezing every day for the next 10 days, I was going to start allowing her & my ducks to keep some of their eggs.

Any suggestions?

Last fall I purchased 2 geese, sex unknown. Now I'm getting an egg a day for the last 3 days. I'd like to think I have a goose & a gander, but I've been reading on here that they lay every other day. So I have 2 geese, no gander?

I've been taking the eggs & leaving a ceramic one in the nest (From Cracker Barrel). Since it's finally going to be above freezing overnight & doesn't look like it's supposed to go below 26 degrees at night, & above freezing every day for the next 10 days, I was going to start allowing her & my ducks to keep some of their eggs.

Any suggestions?
Is one of your geese really protective of the other? If so it may be a gander. Does one of your geese hiss at you when you come into their area? If so it may be a gander. What are the breeds of your geese and can you post pictures. There are those here at BYC that can do a pretty good job of sexing geese by sight. As for leaving eggs for your birds to hatch. Well, if you got your geese as babies last Fall they are probably too young and immature to breed and produce fertile eggs yet. That usually takes about a year and if they are not showing any signs of being broody they would not sit the nest anyway. Also, if you actually have two females instate of a pair...well, you already know that part.

Back
Top Bottom