GOOSE BREEDING THREAD - for breeding, incubating, hatching and rearing.

Hey Ducky, Depending on where you live keeping wild birds may be illegal (it is where I live). Wild animals generally always do better in the wild, so if your goose flies away I would let him. And it seems the puffiness is all gone after a day so it must have been fluid retention! All three are fine but I learned my lesson!

Kodiak is right. Canada geese do require a permit but it should be easy to aquire. I raise wild geese they do great! I would clip there wings. They should be happy with you! Wild geese are raised in captivity with ease

Hey Ducky, Depending on where you live keeping wild birds may be illegal (it is where I live). Wild animals generally always do better in the wild, so if your goose flies away I would let him. And it seems the puffiness is all gone after a day so it must have been fluid retention! All three are fine but I learned my lesson!
Iain Utah a member here had a Dewlap Toulouse hatch with swollen head and face after a few days the fluid let so I guess it happens and corrects itself. Happy to hear yours are doing fine now.

Kodiak is right. Canada geese do require a permit but it should be easy to aquire. I raise wild geese they do great! I would clip there wings. They should be happy with you! Wild geese are raised in captivity with ease

I'm probably going to let them go and if they come back that would be wonderful... but it depends I guess

I'm probably going to let them go and if they come back that would be wonderful... but it depends I guess
Best thing to do is give them their freedom from the start as long as they are not tiny goslings. that way you aren't forcing them to stay they can leave anytime they want to.
We have a Canada pair that come every year down below out house to an small island in the mountain river, so I think your geese would come back if its a good place to nest and raise young.

I have them outside right now in a little coop type thing, I'll let them have their freedom around the yard when they are a little bigger. They are about 2 and a half weeks now and one has leg issues, I think it's because he needs more protein so I'm trying to help him while the other is beginning to het feathers

Back on the subject of a gander raising abandoned goslings, would a willing chicken hen ever take to raising goslings? Just curious to see if anyone has ever had any experience in this

I've never done but she'd most likely have to hatch it before she take it under her wing [so to speak]

That makes sense. Or a duck hen would be more similar. I just want some goslings that are better suited to defend themselves and have more smarts that's only other birds can teach each other.

That makes sense. Or a duck hen would be more similar. I just want some goslings that are better suited to defend themselves and have more smarts that's only other birds can teach each other.

Yes people have used ducks to hatch gosling and vise versa. and chickens to hatch both too. My Muscovy duck hatched an Embden gosling 8 yrs ago and he had no other geese till he was 5 yrs, I really think he thought he was a duck till I got him a goose . Took him about 5 months to realize he wasn't a very tall Muscovy drake. Mating season cinched the deal.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom