Goose chat!!

My African grey goose (17 years old) has always refused to be housed at night. He stays on the pond or curled up on the edge of the pond, guarding the yard. My ducks have followed suit and do whatever he does.
Henry.jpg

My African grey goose (17 years old) has always refused to be housed at night. He stays on the pond or curled up on the edge of the pond, guarding the yard. My ducks have followed suit and do whatever he does. View attachment 1035418
Handsome guy! How Old do Geese live? I'm also considering geese. Haven't done enough research yet.

Handsome guy! How Old do Geese live? I'm also considering geese. Haven't done enough research yet.
depending on what geese they are, it is not uncommon for the larger domestic varieties to live 25 years. one will hear tales of geese that have lived double that, however my guess is that someone owned a goose for around the 25 year mark then it died whilst they were away and someone replaced it with another one.
although to be fair, if anyone replaced any of my babies then i'd know without any hesitation as they have their own individual peculiarities and personalities that are unlikely to be present in others, similar to people if you know what i mean?

My geese won't go inside anything no matter what the weather. They have a 3 sided straw shelter filled with dry straw but preferred to stay out in the snow when it was -22 degrees F. They also have a lean to shelter they refuse to use. My neighbor's geese go into her barn every night.

i'm no expert on geese, it looks to me like one greylag at the front right and 3 crossbreeds. lovely looking gooseys in my opinion (not that i'm bias toward geese in any way). it's pretty tricky to tell from the one picture though.
Thanks for the lead! now for some research.

Back
Top Bottom