Goose doesn't seem right after heat stroke

May 15, 2019
On August 13th, around 18:30 PDT, the goose got heat stroke.
Tried to cool her down (we put some ice cubes but not too many). The goose drooped the wings and breathed heavily (panting?). Later, it took 2~3 hours for the goose to look slightly better (floating in the water with head up). Even later, she finally attempted to eat lettuce and grass seeds but ate only very tiny bits of them. She drank some brown sugar water.

At first after her temperature became OK, she had difficulty walking but could walk a few hours later.

A few hours after her temperature became OK, she choked on lettuce but spit it out. However, she almost never attempted eating lettuce in the following week.

In the following week, her diet consisted of almost only brown sugar water and a little watermelon juice. We offered Sav-a-Chick electrolyte water but didn't see her drink it.

On August 22nd day, she started eating more grass seeds and lettuce but eventually chocked on lettuce again and hasn't eaten lettuce since choking. She also choked a little when she tried to drink much water.

On August 22nd night, she laid down for a rather long time and hadn't eaten/drunk for a few hours, and her temperature was a little high. We put her in room temperature water. She started drinking water and watermelon juice after approximately 2 hours.

On August 23rd, she still looks weak, although she can walk and sometimes played puddles, but I worry she's pretending. She drank some brown sugar water. She also had some yellowish poop with bad smell but some solid matter.

What might be wrong with her? What can we do so that she survives?

she hasnt had any real food in a long time now so she is starving to death.
sounds like the stroke affected her ability to eat/swallow.
Is an avian vet an option for you?
Do you know how to tube feed? She needs to eat a real food made for waterfowl or an all flock feed, not grass seeds.
take some of the waterfowl feed and add water and ! Tbsp nutritional yeast per cup of feed. to make it soupy, see if she will eat any.
@Goosebaby @Miss Lydia @Kiki @Lacy Duckwing @DuckLady @Canadian Wind @SilverBirds

Last edited:
she hasnt had any real food in a long time now so she is starving to death.
sounds like the stroke affected her ability to eat/swallow.
Is an avian vet an option for you?
Do you know how to tube feed? She needs to eat.
@Goosebaby @Miss Lydia
Thanks for replying.

She ate real food, but the amount was too small (only a little grass seeds and watermelon), and when she tried to get a large bite, she easily got choked.

We actually offered ground feed mixed in water, but she didn't take it.

There's an avian vet a little far with geese experience, I tried to contact them today but failed. I'll try to reach them tomorrow. There's another place not too far that accepts birds, but they told me they had limited experience with geese.

I don't know how to tube feed and am afraid I'd accidentally put things into the glottis by mistake :( This goose doesn't feel easy when she's held by our hands.

In the video that almost looks like she’s eggbound, but the head being lowered is unusual, it reminds me more of a stroke.

Heat stroke usually manifests with the head stretched out or upwards with rapid panting, not slow extreme heaves like this. Normal egg laying will look like rapid panting also but extreme heaves like this are like she’s either having trouble pushing something out or a mass is impeding here breathing.

What made you think she had heat exhaustion originally? What circumstances lead up to this? Were there any prior symptoms before this?

My advice is to get her to a vet asap or start administering a broad spectrum antibiotic like Baytril, if she was eggbound it may have finally broke internally and that could be the cause of the yellow droppings which has now become an infection.

Amoxicillin might also work, do not give her Azithromycin.

Last edited:
In the video that almost looks like she’s eggbound, but the head being lowered is unusual, it reminds me more of a stroke.

Heat stroke usually manifests with the head stretched out or upwards with rapid panting, not slow extreme heaves like this. Normal egg laying will look like rapid panting also but extreme heaves like this are like she’s either having trouble pushing something out or a mass is impeding here breathing.

What made you think she had heat exhaustion originally? What circumstances lead up to this? We’re they
re any prior symptoms before this?

My advice is to get her to a vet asap or start administering a broad spectrum antibiotic like Baytril, if she was eggbound it may have finally broke internally and that could be the cause of the yellow droppings which has now become an infection.

Amoxicillin might also work, do not give her Azithromycin.
Thanks for replying.

The day she looked like that was the first day of a heat wave in the Portland, Oregon region. Before she looked like that, the temperature rose to around 100 degrees F (37 to 38 degrees C). She was in a small water pool, possibly trying to cool down, and when she tried to get out, she couldn't. It's when we noticed something was wrong with her, and due to the temperature, we thought it'd be heat stroke.

She's 4 years old and only laid eggs when she was 1 year old and 2 years old. She didn't lay an egg last year (probably due to the unusual heat wave that year and hasn't laid an egg this year, either). We offered her oyster shells in spring, but she didn't eat them as far as I know.

Another possibility is she could have a blockage somewhere in her digestive tract.
I'll try to get her to the vet, but I also worry it'd stress her out (she's afraid of going to the vet, and it's a long drive). I'll try to see if tube feeding would improve her situation before I can get in touch with the vet.

Thanks for replying.

The day she looked like that was the first day of a heat wave in the Portland, Oregon region. Before she looked like that, the temperature rose to around 100 degrees F (37 to 38 degrees C). She was in a small water pool, possibly trying to cool down, and when she tried to get out, she couldn't. It's when we noticed something was wrong with her, and due to the temperature, we thought it'd be heat stroke.

She's 4 years old and only laid eggs when she was 1 year old and 2 years old. She didn't lay an egg last year (probably due to the unusual heat wave that year and hasn't laid an egg this year, either). We offered her oyster shells in spring, but she didn't eat them as far as I know.
It’s very unusual to stop laying at her age, I’m down here in California and the heat does affect their laying and can make them stop for a bit but they’ve continued to lay “those that are currently laying for the season.

If she didn’t lay last year she may have had something wrong with her reproductive organs, some things that can stop a goose from laying besides normal hormonal seasonal shifts are infections, nutritional deficiencies like lack of calcium among others, injury, or cancer, something like salpingitis, internal laying, or a tumor might be to blame for her current symptoms. If it’s an infection it can be treated with antibiotics but it could cause her issues with laying in future if her oviduct was damaged. If it’s a tumor some reproductive tumors have been shrunk in chickens with something called a suprelorin implant but those usually have to be replaced annually. Overall reproductive cancers in birds don’t have a good prognosis, I’m so sorry!

Back
Top Bottom