Goose doesn't seem right after heat stroke

It’s very unusual to stop laying at her age, I’m down here in California and the heat does affect their laying and can make them stop for a bit but they’ve continued to lay “those that are currently laying for the season.

If she didn’t lay last year she may have had something wrong with her reproductive organs, some things that can stop a goose from laying besides normal hormonal seasonal shifts are infections, nutritional deficiencies like lack of calcium among others, injury, or cancer, something like salpingitis, internal laying, or a tumor might be to blame for her current symptoms. If it’s an infection it can be treated with antibiotics but it could cause her issues with laying in future if her oviduct was damaged. If it’s a tumor some reproductive tumors have been shrunk in chickens with something called a suprelorin implant but those usually have to be replaced annually. Overall reproductive cancers in birds don’t have a good prognosis, I’m so sorry!
The heat last year was extreme, too (similar to this year). When she laid eggs at 2 years old, there was a sudden snow in spring, after which she stopped laying eggs and hasn't laid any egg at all. Before, she'd take oyster shells as needed, but after she stopped laying eggs, she had little to no oyster shell intake even though we offer her oyster shells.

I think it's more likely to be heat stroke as she looked better after being merged in the water for a few hours. The heat stroke probably affected her ability to swallow larger chunks of food as mentioned by @Jenbirdee . I don't have a tube at hand. We'll likely try syringe feeding today if she still doesn't eat the feed.

The heat last year was extreme, too (similar to this year). When she laid eggs at 2 years old, there was a sudden snow in spring, after which she stopped laying eggs and hasn't laid any egg at all. Before, she'd take oyster shells as needed, but after she stopped laying eggs, she had little to no oyster shell intake even though we offer her oyster shells.

I think it's more likely to be heat stroke as she looked better after being merged in the water for a few hours. The heat stroke probably affected her ability to swallow larger chunks of food as mentioned by @Jenbirdee . I don't have a tube at hand. We'll likely try syringe feeding today if she still doesn't eat the feed.

Try giving her a few drops of olive oil or mineral oil to lubricate her intestines. Something is causing her to regurgitate and if that’s a mass or object partially obstructing her bowels keeping her on a liquid diet is best until whatever it is is figured out.
you can also mix her feed with a lot of water to make it a loose soup but make sure it’s her only access to water.

perhaps there's a blockage of some kind but it's also true that strokes including heat strokes can cause difficulty swallowing .
i'm glad you can get her to an avian vet .
Just syringe feeding her a little bit, but she wasn't happy with that after 3 successful attempts. Stopped for now (we don't want to let her use too much energy). Can't get her to the vet immediately. I hope she can be strong until the vet day.

Just syringe feeding her a little bit, but she wasn't happy with that after 3 successful attempts. Stopped for now (we don't want to let her use too much energy). Can't get her to the vet immediately. I hope she can be strong until the vet day.
well at least she got a little in her lets hope she keeps it down 🙏 ♥️

Update: She drank more of the water mixed with feed and brown sugar yesterday. Her poop still had the yellowish solid stuff (the amount was very small, so we wonder whether the heat stroke affected her reproductive system). We're mixing some brewer's yeast in the water today. I'll try contacting the vet again today.

Any advice on giving her nutrition and energy is highly appreciated.

Update: She drank more of the water mixed with feed and brown sugar yesterday. Her poop still had the yellowish solid stuff (the amount was very small, so we wonder whether the heat stroke affected her reproductive system). We're mixing some brewer's yeast in the water today. I'll try contacting the vet again today.

i think it's time to stop adding sugar, it's really not good for her. there's a product called nutri-drench that you can use instead. add some of that to the feed & water mixture.
also after 3 hours dump the mash and make new, otherwise it grows bacteria.

It’s hard to say for sure what the yellow is without seeing it, it could be egg yolk from an egg that broke internally, it could be pus from an internal bacterial infection, it could be yellow urates from a yeast or bacterial infection or from kidney failure, or it could be a sign something isn’t right with the liver.

Back
Top Bottom