GeeseGoose

Chirping
Jul 17, 2020
Hello! Concerned goos parent double checking-
The other day, Beetlegoose had some wicked drooling going on. (It caught me by surprise and was honestly a bit funny.) it happened right before a storm rolled in, and the temperature had soared to just under 90°f outside! My ducks were panting a bit, but Bee just drooled. (I refilled their water and gave them all a good hose shower)
I’ve heard geese can drool when hot, but I cannot find much to confirm it on the ol’ Google machine- only things like ‘take the bird to the vet asap because they have an infection.’
From what I can tell, Bee is in tip top shape and shows no signs of infection, dehydration or canker. Shes bright and super active, her pupils dialate properly, her breathing is normal, her appetite is DEFINITELY the same and her feathers weren’t damp around the mouth- the only abnormal thing was long strings of drool. (She’s always had a lot of saliva, as she leaves goose spit on my boots when she nibbles them, but she never drooled)
While the drooling stopped once the pre-storm heat wave passed, you know how us flock parents can be- I’m still worried about the chance of something being wrong. Is my “heat induced drooling” premonition correct?
Thank you!

The only time I’ve seen a goose drool perfumery is when my gander Thor came down with Aspergillosis and when one of my other ganders Darby came down with some sort of upper respiratory sickness that lasted two days.
Heat stress does make them salivate more, but I’ve never seen strings of saliva coming out of their mouths with my birds🤷‍♀️

The only time I’ve seen a goose drool perfumery is when my gander Thor came down with Aspergillosis and when one of my other ganders Darby came down with some sort of upper respiratory sickness that lasted two days.
Heat stress does make them salivate more, but I’ve never seen strings of saliva coming out of their mouths with my birds🤷‍♀️
was like a long drip
Oh no! I hope everyone was ok!
When I say strings, I mean a single long drip of drool at a time that would drip and then be replaced shortly by another

Oh no! I hope everyone was ok!
When I say strings, I mean a single long drip of drool at a time that would drip and then be replaced shortly by another
Yeah that’s what I saw with Darby a few years ago, he was completely fine after a few days. Thor on the other hand eventually succumbed to the Asper and complications of being treated with it. Asper isn’t actually treatable with current antifungals, they only suppress it and sometimes not very well, they’re also highly toxic to birds so when it comes to Aspergillosis the cure can be as deadly as the diseases.

Back
Top Bottom