1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goose Egg Incubation and Gislings

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cwaldensr, Mar 19, 2015.

1. cwaldensr

cwaldensr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2014
    I have had a gander for two years now (Dudley) and I finally got him a goose (Annee). They told me that Annee was about a year and a half and never laid an egg before. I have had her for less than a month and she has laid her first egg. Wow that is awesome because I have never personally had a goose egg before.

Well I didn't;'t incubate it or let her nest it because I was excited and really I have no idea what to do next. I head read that the first egg is generally not fertile anyway. I have no idea how truthful that was. I can read all the articles in the world about things but I like to ask people who have the experience so I can get the knowledge and tricks of the trade.

So do I leave the next egg in the nest, take it out and incubate it, what the best way to incubate an egg I mean I have read about so many incubators. Do I need to buy one or can I make one?

Any help will do because I am truly wanting to have goslings. Just in case IO do are there any ideas or precautions I have to know about that too.

I am really excited to see the first egg. I knew she was laying an egg but when I went to watch she got up out the pen and moved away. Once I left she went back in and had the egg. That was so cool.

I added a picture of the egg and my geese.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks.

Charles

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Honestly I would let them try to brood. Geese are excellent parents and seem to have fairly good hatch rates when doing things themselves.

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Why not crack open the first egg and check fertility. Then you know if you should let her gather eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by