Goose egg incubation - turning question

chickmed

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 24, 2014
This is my first time incubating. Ive read everything I could find to learn. I bought a second hand brinsea incubator that came with an autoturner, but unfortunately it turned out to not work properly. It will rotate 90 degrees then get stuck. So, I cant use it.

So now I will hand turn, which i was not anticipating, but its fine. I know goose eggs need to be rotated 180 degrees at least daily - petes guide says once daily (but he also uses autoturn), some other sources Ive read say 4x daily. My incubator also has slanted sides so i can manually tilt the machine and leave it on its side. I guess I am just confused as to what is best to do. Slant it back and forth how many times per day? Rotate 180 how many times? Any thoughts? Thank you.

This is my first time incubating. Ive read everything I could find to learn. I bought a second hand brinsea incubator that came with an autoturner, but unfortunately it turned out to not work properly. It will rotate 90 degrees then get stuck. So, I cant use it.

So now I will hand turn, which i was not anticipating, but its fine. I know goose eggs need to be rotated 180 degrees at least daily - petes guide says once daily (but he also uses autoturn), some other sources Ive read say 4x daily. My incubator also has slanted sides so i can manually tilt the machine and leave it on its side. I guess I am just confused as to what is best to do. Slant it back and forth how many times per day? Rotate 180 how many times? Any thoughts? Thank you.
I generally turn my eggs 3x per day, 180* by hand. The reasoning for 3x/day rather than four is that the side left down during the night or when you're gone to work (whenever the longest gap without turning is) falls on different sides each day rather than it always being the same side. Personally, I don't stress about it. Some days I only turn twice, other days four or five times.

I generally turn my eggs 3x per day, 180* by hand. The reasoning for 3x/day rather than four is that the side left down during the night or when you're gone to work (whenever the longest gap without turning is) falls on different sides each day rather than it always being the same side. Personally, I don't stress about it. Some days I only turn twice, other days four or five times.

Same here

Well the first batch of 4 eggs were not fertile :( or, something happened to them in the mail. I found a local guy who sold me 3 eggs and 1 of those is definitely developing - the other 2, not so much. Such a low success rate so far...

Back
Top Bottom