Goose egg rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighborhood has an HOA that doesn’t allow poultry, so I’m giving the abandoned and Sebastopols to my friend!
Toss the egg. If you can't keep the bird and you can't be responsible for it, toss it. I'm a bird rehabber and I volunteered for my local wildlife association. Rehabbing a captive born goose is extremely difficult and I personally wouldn't do that. I had to deal with a few captive born and hand fed wildlife that the owners abandoned as soon as they became sexually mature, and those poor things were so messed up in the head that they could never be released. They had to spend the life in a cage all alone because all they wanted to do was mating with human feet and human hands.

I
1. It was in the middle of the road when we found it
2. What mother lays an egg in the middle of the road? Also there were lots of nests with goose eggs in it.
3. I looked up the rules and regulations for Colorado and it said ‘you’re allowed to take birds if you helping to rehabilitate it or if abandoned or injured’
4.there were kids in the road and cars that were driving, so if we didn’t grab it, it could have been crushed.
It's illegal to take eggs from the wild of a protected species, whether it was in the road or not. You are not rescuing a bird, you're taking an egg, which may not even be fertilized, from the wild. Even if it were a bird, you have to be a certified wildlife rehabber to have a wild bird in your possession. They are trained to care for wildlife in such a way as to not habituate them to humans. If this eggs hatched, how are you going to ensure that it doesn't imprint on humans and domestic geese? Trying to raise it along with domestic geese is naive.....the domestic geese have a different biome and immune system compared to that of a wild gosling and the wild gosling may get sick when exposed in close quarters to the domestics. Bad idea all around, not to mention illegal and will only be a sad outcome for the Canada Goose, if it were to hatch. Put it back outside, it's food for other wildlife

Me and my friend found an abandon Canadian goose egg at a pond. We brought it home and are going to try incubating it. If you have any advice for hatching Canadian geese eggs then that would be much appreciated! We don’t know much about hatching geese eggs so if y’all could tell us about anything that might be important for it. Thank you!
View attachment 3800817

Me and my friend found an abandon Canadian goose egg at a pond. We brought it home and are going to try incubating it. If you have any advice for hatching Canadian geese eggs then that would be much appreciated! We don’t know much about hatching geese eggs so if y’all could tell us about anything that might be important for it. Thank you!
View attachment 3800817
This guy has a complete series of short videos on how to incubate/hatch goose eggs on Youtube. He is excellent. Highly recommend you watch ASAP:

You are in the states, yes? Canadian geese are protected by the MBA, so it is technically illegal. Even still, there isn't anything to "save", so I don't see the point of hatching it. You'd end up with a lone gosling, which isn't recommended, and I don't really think you'd be able to give it the care it needs to return back to the wild.
Disagree. If fertile I would definitely try to hatch.

I feel I have to agree with what huntmaster said. It takes many days for a goose to lay their entire clutch of eggs. They don't sit on them consistently until they are ready to synchronize their development. The mother was likely off foraging, leaving her egg behind knowing it wasn't ready to be "set" yet.
If everyone picked up a random goose egg they found, it would drastically effect the outcome of the species. This is why they are protected.
I know you were trying to do the right thing so I don't blame you. just better to know for next time!
It was in the road...not a nest. I would give it a go and try to incubate.

All we asked for was advice and help, so if you have no advice for hatching or help, then please scroll past. I just want to know more about hatching geese. I’m just following what the rules said about it. The pond was near a road. I don’t know how it got all the way over there. Thank you for the info though!❤️

Yes it is fresh
...so why are you trying to incubate it? it is illegal.
And nowhere has a rule that you should "help" abandoned eggs. If the bird is protected, that is illegal... Only rehabbers and liscenced people are allowed to handle them. And if the bird is not protected, that would be because it is considered invasive... and hatching them would be severely frowned upon.

This egg has no life in it, you don't know if it's even fertilised. This isn't a rescue mission... Leave it alone. Nature is not ours to play with.
I understand you want to do this, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do.

I would go put it back near the pond, not far from the nests, Perhaps a mama goose will pull it into her nest. If not, it's for nature to use. It's not alive yet, there's no baby inside.

Thank you! Very helpful!

Thank you for understanding! I did not want it to get crushed.

It’s been a couple days now and the heart has been developing! I will send a picture as soon as I can! I am not at home..
I would love that. We have a pet goose, Gabby. She walks on harness and leash wearing 'goose boots'. She is the only goose we have and now lives in a coop with 3 duck buddies. She is bonded to us and very happy!
gabby_blueshoes copy 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom