1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

goose eggs-picture added

Discussion in 'Geese' started by duck walk, Nov 6, 2010.

1. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    oh boy...I set 15 goose eggs in the 'bator this a.m. and am hoping for some hatching next month! The gander is Barney, the Brown China, and the two girls who are laying are White Chinese...I need a few more honkers...eggs should be fertile and if not, it is not for lack of trying...Barney even kicked the snot out of Merlin the White China gander for even looking cross way at the girls...Merlin has knuckled under to Barney's claims and leadership...he is hanging with the ducks by his own choosing...good survival instincts on his part...Barney's son, Boris, is not even thinking in terms of courting as of yet...he is not quite six months old and is just beginning to develope his "knob." He is in charge of supervising everything I do out in the yard...Boris is the ultimate tag along chatter box...geese are such a load of silliness...they seem to be either super elegant or totally silly with very little in between...Boris was following me around a couple of days ago and was so intent on voicing his opinion on my activities he fell in a hole...a small hole but big enough to cause a goose crash...I was laughing my butt off and he stalked off in a huff...fingers crossed on a good hatch!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    *fingers crossed* There is no such thing as "enough" geese, is there? [​IMG]

3. duck walk

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    [​IMG]

No such thing as too many geese...lol...that is Merlin, the tall white gander in the midst of the White China ladies...Barney is the tall grey gander to the left, and behind Barbara, the black runner duck is Herb, the Pom gander...I love them all...they are such characters...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  4. Lund121671

Lund121671 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Wisconsin
    love the photo, I wish we lives somewhere there was grass all year! Grass in Wisconsin is pretty much done for the season, bring on the leafy alfalfa and lettuce.

5. duck walk

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    I hear you...I grew up in Minnesota...I had no plans to retire in Florida but my spouse at the time decided we should buy this and settle here...he was a Southern boy and would not consider snow country in any way, shape, or form...I have come to love it here...I don't do cold any more now that I am older than dirt...all of my family, other than my children, are in the North...I like that the grass comes early and leavs late and does not stay gone for long...I like that I can be out year round and in cold weather, a set of sweats and a hoodie are enough...I remember the layers of heavy clothing and gloves and boots and things we had to wear in the freezing winter temps...I like that it takes a lot less monetarily and structurally to maintain my flock...I hate heat rash, but I like it better than frost bite...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by