Goose Eggs

whitecra

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Oklahoma
Well I had been wondering if my goose was a he or a she. Went out a few weeks ago and found eggs. Ok so far she has laid 10 eggs. She hasn't started sitting on them yet. She is the only goose I have so they wouldn't hatch. I have thrown some out and now she has 3 more eggs in the nest. I was wondering can you eat a goose egg and how is the taste of a goose egg.
Chris

Yes you can and they taste like EGG!!
lol.png

Quote:
I have eaten goose eggs and they have slightly more concentrated flavor than chicken eggs, a lot depends on how you use them.
If you eat them raw they are best cut with a little milk or water, otherwise the texture is rather thick.
Boiled I have only tried once and the whites were rather tough but I think I over cooked them(I mean how long do you cook an egg that is 3X heavier than a chicken egg? I went with 5X as long because the heat has to penetrate farther) At 5X the yoke was cooked to dryness, without a gummy center so they may have been overcooked.
Fried- Sunny side up put a tight lid on the fry pan so the steam will cook the top, Or stand there and spoon hot fat over the top until the white is cooked and the yoke is partly cooked
Over hard, like a chicken egg but remember that it is thicker and will take longer to cook through.
Scrambled like chicken eggs (but I always add milk to either before dumping in the pan) The same for omlets but a one egg omlet makes a large meal for one.
Baking I do by weight, a large chicken egg is 2 ounces, a goose egg usuly runs 6+ ounces.

If you have tried duck eggs and were put off by a "gamly" "earthy" or "fishly" flavor try goose eggs anyways Their diet is different enough that you usually don't get the off flavors (gamy=insects, earthy=digging in mud, fishy=fish)

Thank you all for the info. I will have to try one sometime. I love fresh chicken eggs so I was wondering about goose eggs. This girl just keeps laying eggs. There is now 3 eggs in the nest again. If she would ever start sitting I might find her a couple eggs to hatch out. I hatched her out in the incubator last May. She is a sweet heart. Didn't know what I was going to do with a goose but they are sweet.
Chirs

Back
Top Bottom