Goose Enrichment

thehenhouseinpa

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 22, 2014
Evening all! I have two Toulouse geese that are I think around 3-4 months old. They are penned in a run while I am at work or away because we have been having a fox problem and I will not take a risk until he is caught!

I’m afraid they will get bored when they are in the pen. What kind of enrichment do they like?

A hanging head of cabbage would give them something to occupy their time. Good luck in eliminating the fox.

I have a flock of chickens so kind of the same things?

They will be going in with the girls soon after the boys go to butcher

Mine love a hanging cabbage it's called cabbage tether ball. A flock block may also give them some fun time.

Bucket of water mine love to pic stuff up and put into their buckets. I find interesting things in the buckets when I dump them every evening.

I took some clear pop bottles and cut a roughly 1 inch hole in the side of them and filled with feed. It didn't take them long to figure out that if the rolled them around feed would spill out. Also mine love their "goose" toys. Threw in some old dog toys "hard plastic ones" I had and the went nuts. The chew on them, pack them around, steal them from each other. And like Miss Lydia said...somehow they always end up in the pool or water buckets.

I take hard plastic balls with holes in them and hang them in the run. I add grass, lettuce, or cabbage strips in the balls and leave the ends of the veggies hanging out so the geese can try to get the veggies out. The geese love it and sometimes play with it like a tether ball. I also got some cat toys from the pet store that were strong plastic balls with bells in them. My geese love to roll the balls to make the bells ring.

My Geese love when I put out a lettuce/ cucumber tether for them to pick at. Do you have a baby pool for them? Mine spend hours in theirs! I do the same for my chickens with hanging veggie tethers. I love to watch their heads swing back and forth lol Also I take sliced up fruit and put it in a bowl of water and freeze it. The next day they pick at the ice to get the fruit. My geese LOVE ice for some reason! Good luck and hope you get that fox gone!

Back
Top Bottom