Goose funny noise/respiratory issue?

SarahMcF

Hatching
Oct 2, 2020
Our 4mnth old pilgrim goose is making a funny noise, if I'm to describe it it sounds a bit like a cow mooing (I have a video, but dont think I can upload it here), he/she's probably been doing it for nearly a week.
It may be completely normal, its just that the others have more of a high pitch squawk, whereas this guy/girl has a very deep, long hoooonnk. He/she might seem a little raspy too, which has given us a little concern.
If anyone has any suggestions or hints as to whether we should be concerned, that would be appreciated :)

Thanks so much for your reply! My son's popped up this video (and also corrected me that the goose is an emden, not a pilgrim - woops!)
It could be a happy cooing, its just sounds quite different than the others you can hear chirruping in the background.
Thanks again :)

The voice does sound like normal voice change, have they been shaking their head a lot like that lately, more than the others or what’s normal?
I've been watching them the last couple of days, and I don't think they're shaking their heads any more than usual. And this one's going about his/her business as normal, s/he is tending to make these noises (they probably are more cooing than mooing) almost all the time. Thank you for the reassurance it isn't anything out of the ordinary!

Ha! The noises get weirder. Downright awful sometimes when they're nervous and exhibiting dominance at the same time. I just laugh, now. Hard to tell on gender. I know I've a got a boy and a girl, but the other "boy" is the runt so he avoids all conflict, making behavioral ID difficult, but he looks just like my dominant a-hole gander(I love him, though).

Haha, so true... they can be mean things - great for home security, better than our dog! But they are fun to have around none the less, so we'll wait and see who's who :)

You can post a video elsewhere on social media, Vimeo or YouTube and share the link here.

Voice changes can be cause for alarm because it could be a sign of illness like asper, but at that age it could just be the normal maturing process, girls will get deeper voices than males so that could be an explanation, it could also be the “happy” sound, it can sound like a deep or soft “whoo, ooo, urrr” kinda sound. It’s hard to tell without hearing it myself.

Thanks so much for your reply! My son's popped up this video (and also corrected me that the goose is an emden, not a pilgrim - woops!)
It could be a happy cooing, its just sounds quite different than the others you can hear chirruping in the background.
Thanks again :)
The voice does sound like normal voice change, have they been shaking their head a lot like that lately, more than the others or what’s normal?

I've been watching them the last couple of days, and I don't think they're shaking their heads any more than usual. And this one's going about his/her business as normal, s/he is tending to make these noises (they probably are more cooing than mooing) almost all the time. Thank you for the reassurance it isn't anything out of the ordinary!
I'm not sure how old your geese are, but my gander is making the weirdest noises at he goes through adolescence into adulthood... sometimes loudly.

I'm not sure how old your geese are, but my gander is making the weirdest noises at he goes through adolescence into adulthood... sometimes loudly.
Thank you for your comment, makes us a bit more reassured it's a normal process! This one's about 4mths old, so I think voice maturing could be all it is.
... how do you tell male/females? I've googled, and noted longer necks/body lower to the ground, etc but I still can't absolutely tell! I'm sure one is a female, but she's like the leader of the pack - makes it very confusing!

Back
Top Bottom