Goose gone crazy

Magnolia Ducks

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jan 24, 2018
Magnolia, TX
My Gander Natasha who was bought as a sexed goose, has gone sexually crazy. I have had this with a drake before but not with a gander. My little goose is all bloody. I have separated him from Natasha. But it's almost fall and Natasha was very sweet just days ago. Do you think there is something wrong with him?

Not human bonded. Bought the pair as day olds and the gander got eaten by coyote. I adopted the little guy as a companion cause I didn't think it was right to have a single goose. They have been fast friends until two days ago when the African went crazy. I still have him in with my Rouen drake, which seems ok for now. He just went crazy on the poor brown Chinese goose. I put that goose in with my other two drakes and that seems to work ok. The African is even yelling at me. Not aggressive but very vocal. I am starting to think about roast goose.

They are already ugly. My poor little brown Chinese ended up all bloody and scared.

It seems you like the Chinese goose well enough. Is that ones temperament still sweet?

If so I would look to finding the other one a new home and get a couple female Chinese geese in the spring.

Natasha was hatched Feb 1. Sparkles was a rescue so I am guessing aprilish. I have them separated. Natasha was such a good goose until two days ago. Although I bought her as a sexed goose, I have suspected gander for a month or so. I have had geese before of both sexes but not one that's gone crazy like this.

Some ganders get sex hormones faster even for that young.

The reason why your goose is getting hurt is because the gander is trying to mate with her but since he physically can't because he's so young he will keep trying. Meaning he's on top of her biting her (not on purpose but because he's trying to mate). And since he can't mate properly he won't stop biting her.

Coming spring when he is ready to breed successfully you won't have the problem anymore.

The mating will be over in seconds.

Sigh they are both ganders. Natasha was supposed to be a goose but was missexed. Right now he is in gander jail. The Chinese goose is much younger and very confused as to why he is getting attacked. I will get them some geese but not available till spring. They were very good companions till Natasha went hormone crazy. Right now I have an all male flock. Three drakes and two ganders. At least Natasha is not trying to mate the drakes.

Back
Top Bottom