Goose hit by car

Why did she call them, about the goose or the dog?? If the goose, I assume they're wild then?
If they're wild there isnt a lot you can do. That leg looks swollen to me, I wouldnt try wrapping it unless there is an open wound.

Is it drinking or eating? if its domestic, has she taken the goose home? Is she going to help it?
No she is 92 and really can't help the goose. The goose I am guessing is a pet but wild, that is why I am having problems feeding it. Doesn't like the All Flock food, or either the water at this point. Yes her geese are wild never domesticated. She is having a problem with a dog coming on her property as of now that did kill her young sheep as well last night. That is why she called Fish & game. She told me she heard the goose screaming last night, so now not sure if hit by a car or a dog got it, but managed to survive. If anyone has advise of food source, not working so well so far including water.

No she is 92 and really can't help the goose. The goose I am guessing is a pet but wild, that is why I am having problems feeding it. Doesn't like the All Flock food, or either the water at this point. Yes her geese are wild never domesticated. She is having a problem with a dog coming on her property as of now that did kill her young sheep as well last night. That is why she called Fish & game. She told me she heard the goose screaming last night, so now not sure if hit by a car or a dog got it, but managed to survive. If anyone has advise of food source, not working so well so far including water.
I imagine it was a dog or some other predator.
Are there other wildlife rehabbers you can call? Can you get a better photo of its leg?
You could try wetting the feed, that may tempt it to eat some.

I imagine it was a dog or some other predator.
Are there other wildlife rehabbers you can call? Can you get a better photo of its leg?
You could try wetting the feed, that may tempt it to eat some.
thank you for responding. I am planning tonight give a bath and treat and look over. I am hoping will drink water during bath time. Since it never been feed actual flock food, not sure what to give to entice to eat. I know it is most likely in shock still. I am going to try to do the leg taping. Didn't really receive to much information doing this so will try to wing it.

I recently gave him some bread, per the owner, and he is not eating as well. Hope I can keep alive at this point. The owner stated she fed them bread, well not working so far.

No rehabbers, on my own on this situation. Vets are still suffering from covid stuff and lacking staff.

thank you for responding. I am planning tonight give a bath and treat and look over. I am hoping will drink water during bath time. Since it never been feed actual flock food, not sure what to give to entice to eat. I know it is most likely in shock still. I am going to try to do the leg taping. Didn't really receive to much information doing this so will try to wing it.
Im not sure bathing is a good idea if this is a wild bird. It will only cause stress.
I'd suggest also not wrapping the leg if there isnt an open wound, because again, this will cause stress, and may not be necessary.
If this is a wild bird, then your neighbour isn't "the owner". So I'm a bit confused. You really need a wildlife rehabber, if the goose is injured.... You could call the vets, and ask. They may be able to take it, or be able to transfer it to a rehabber elsewhere

Why did she call them, about the goose or the dog?? If the goose, I assume they're wild then?
If they're wild there isnt a lot you can do. That leg looks swollen to me, I wouldnt try wrapping it unless there is an open wound.

Is it drinking or eating? if its domestic, has she taken the goose home? Is she going to help it?
I am a little confuse by your response. The goose what I understand is domesticated goose and there is a dog around that is killing her young sheep as well as this goose, but somehow got a way. My daughter came home and found in our driveway, with a leg not functioning. Just looking for advice on treating this goose.

I am a little confuse by your response. The goose what I understand is domesticated goose
The goose I am guessing is a pet but wild,
Yes her geese are wild never domesticated.
You can probably understand why I was confused. I am not familiar with geese breeds, so I am relying on clear information to understand the situation.

Since this is a domesticated goose, bathing would be a good idea. Once time has been given for her to come out of shock and calm down, maybe try and have a thorough check of the leg if you're still worried, if you are able to, feel it for swelling and heat. Have you been able to locate where the blood was coming from? If so, clean those wounds, perhaps apply some neosporin or tripple antibiotic (without pain relief) to any of those cuts.
If you find any deeper wounds, take photos, and if you can, take a better photo of its leg before you wrap it so that we can see the full extent of the swelling.

Have you tried treats? Like peas, or scrambled egg? anything to tempt to eat?
I'll @Miss Lydia as she is the only person I know who has geese.

That is def not a wild goose.

Seems I remember @casportpony showing how to splint but I looked on her articles and didn't see it hopefully she'll see this tag.

In the meantime wrap the goose in a large towel or blanket to treat the wounds that will keep the wings from hitting you and can keep the goose calmer. You can even cover the head to keep the goose calmer. Let us know what the wounds are and where they are pictures would be best.

Bread has no nutritional value at all for geese try making a warm soup mix with your feed and warm water. Give the goose a bowl of fresh water too.

Would your neighbor be willing to let you take the goose to a vet? also see if there is any wildlife rehabbers in your area who maybe willing to treat the goose.
I see my geese lay with the leg out behind like in your picture so try and check the leg from top to bottom for injuries. Hopefully it isn't broken.

Back
Top Bottom