Goose hit by car

Why did she call them, about the goose or the dog?? If the goose, I assume they're wild then?
If they're wild there isnt a lot you can do. That leg looks swollen to me, I wouldnt try wrapping it unless there is an open wound.

Is it drinking or eating? if its domestic, has she taken the goose home? Is she going to help it?
My neighbor is old German lady, so I was confused as well. She told me the same night earlier, she found her young sheep dead. She called the Fish & Game if they could verify what type of animal killed her sheep. According to them they can not tell the difference between a coyote or dog. She mentioned she heard her goose screaming at the time, not sure why, as it was dark. Well that is my guess why I found this goose in my driveway. I still think was hit by a car, as had injuries on foot like road scrape on the foot. Does have some type of puncture wounds on the body not leg. I need my daughter to help me check the wounds. I did wrap foot but thinking taking off so I can see if in fact broken or just sprained holding foot back.

Im not sure bathing is a good idea if this is a wild bird. It will only cause stress.
I'd suggest also not wrapping the leg if there isnt an open wound, because again, this will cause stress, and may not be necessary.
If this is a wild bird, then your neighbour isn't "the owner". So I'm a bit confused. You really need a wildlife rehabber, if the goose is injured.... You could call the vets, and ask. They may be able to take it, or be able to transfer it to a rehabber elsewhere
I'm sorry confusing. I know nothing about geese. This is a domestic goose that lives off the land. I had a chicken that I looked for a vet and they all stopped treating farm birds, when covid hit. This goose. just trying to help out if possible.

I just checked on the goose. Did eat last night and water, but dumped the water. What a mess. I gave flock food mixed with warm water. I was going to go out in couple hours and clean the pen with fresh newspaper. The wrap I did last night didn't last long. I removed but did notice the goose is holding the foot forward now. But leaning to other side slightly off the foot a bit. So I think I will just monitor at this point. Thanks everyone for help, I have no idea or knowledge about goose.

I changed the bedding, with dry newspaper. Was shivering, so cranked the heat up, base board which is directly going to the goose. His leg looks swollen, there is some taping on but I think is helping to keep the foot forward. Watched when moving and favoring at the ankle, not sure broken but there is no support from the ankle. I am thinking I should give some Bayer aspirin, crushed and a little bit each day for the swelling. I do have human amoxicillin, could crush and give small amount each day. I am guessing around 5 lbs. Any thoughts, or just leave alone and see if gets better?

Attachments

• DSC_0476.JPG
    DSC_0476.JPG
    477.3 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0477.JPG
    DSC_0477.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 6
My neighbor is old German lady, so I was confused as well. She told me the same night earlier, she found her young sheep dead. She called the Fish & Game if they could verify what type of animal killed her sheep. According to them they can not tell the difference between a coyote or dog. She mentioned she heard her goose screaming at the time, not sure why, as it was dark. Well that is my guess why I found this goose in my driveway. I still think was hit by a car, as had injuries on foot like road scrape on the foot. Does have some type of puncture wounds on the body not leg. I need my daughter to help me check the wounds. I did wrap foot but thinking taking off so I can see if in fact broken or just sprained holding foot back.
If there are puncture wounds I'd bet it was a predator attack, rather than a car. It sounds like a very lucky goose. Hopefully she pulls through
When you let her have a little bath, watch how she uses her hurt leg, if she paddles with it or not, that could indicate whether it is broken or sprained/wounded. Trouble is I'm not sure how good an idea it is to put her in a bath if shes very timid. You wouldn't want her to become stressed and worsen her injury.
Keep us updated, I have my fingers crossed for her. Its really wonderful for you to do this, too. To take care of her even though she isnt your responsibility, that says a lot of good about your character. I'm sure she's in good hands.

Last edited:
I changed the bedding, with dry newspaper. Was shivering, so cranked the heat up, base board which is directly going to the goose. His leg looks swollen, there is some taping on but I think is helping to keep the foot forward. Watched when moving and favoring at the ankle, not sure broken but there is no support from the ankle. I am thinking I should give some Bayer aspirin, crushed and a little bit each day for the swelling. I do have human amoxicillin, could crush and give small amount each day. I am guessing around 5 lbs. Any thoughts, or just leave alone and see if gets better?
Is that blood around the foot?
Any chance of photos of the puncture wounds you mentioned?

If there are puncture wounds I'd bet it was a predator attack, rather than a car. It sounds like a very lucky goose. Hopefully she pulls through
When you let her have a little bath, watch how she uses her hurt leg, if she paddles with it or not, that could indicate whether it is broken or sprained/wounded.
Keep us updated, I have my fingers crossed for her. Its really wonderful for you to do this, too. To take care of her even though she isnt your responsibility, that says a lot of good about your character. I'm sure she's in good hands.

Back
Top Bottom