1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goose House Designs

Discussion in 'Geese' started by snowhorse, Apr 8, 2010.

1. snowhorse

snowhorse Pantry Brook Farm

Jun 13, 2009
    MA
    Does anyone know where you can find a DIY goose house design?

Or does anyone have any really good pictures of their build and design?

I am looking to house 4 to 6 sebastopol geese....I am only getting 2....but you know how having only 2 of anything goes [​IMG]

2. marathonmultiplesmom

marathonmultiplesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Chehalis, WA
    my dh and bil made a "goose garage" which is open on one end with 3 walls and a roof. Its very basic and about 4' high. My geese don't like to be inside at all. The females will nest in there but that's it. They don't hang out. They prefer to freeze outside or get wet outside. They are never seeking shelter. Even with the option, at night I still find them sleeping outside.

3. snowhorse

snowhorse Pantry Brook Farm

Jun 13, 2009
    MA
    Im just worried about predators...do you close them in a run?

4. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    We have 2 toulouse. We are using a simple calf hutch. Its about 8 feet across and round. We threw a bunch of straw in there and cut off the front edge so they don't have to crawl over anything to walk in and out.

They don't use it much, even in the dead cold of our WI winter but they have it if they need it. We have coyotes around and they haven't bothered the geese at all. I think coyotes are afraid of them, or at least the adults.

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

We have 2 Canadian geese nesting on the neighbors pond area. We also have tons of coyotes. I have never seen them messing with the geese. Perhaps they know better. I have seen them coming close while hunting rodents, and they have never shown interest in the birds.
    Katharina

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I have toulouse and I no longer coop them at night. I hear coyotes every night and have never had an issue with them taking on the geese. I am not saying it couldnt happen but I think large geese are pretty good at taking care of themselves. My gander rushed me today, I was catching some chickens. He didnt like it. It scared the crap out of me that is for sure. I had a broom close by and put it between us and he decided to live to fight another day. I think they can be quite intimidating.

7. vixxen36

vixxen36 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2012
    I have two Chinese Geese, I am going to build them a house, but they do they need to be in all the time , they roost under my window now.
    I live in Minnesota and worry about the cold and wind chills

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They need shelter from the extreme elements. and for their own safety. lots of predators love goose dinner. My geese are only in their house at night safely locked up. [​IMG] My flock has access to their houses during the day when temps are low and when it's snowing or raining most of the time they find a spot where they are out of the worst of the weather. There are a lot of pics of houses folks have built for their geese if you type goose houses in the search.

9. goose4

goose4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2012
    Up North MN
    I would lock them up at night so they don't become goose dinner. Give them plenty of loose bedding. Our geese and ducks liked that last winter. They will be able to go out most days. They love to play in the snow and take snow baths after a fluffy snowfall. When temp temps dip well below zero try putting some Vaseline on their knobs. A couple of ours got a little frostbite last year but it got down to -37. They should have a place to get in out of the wind all of the time.

10. MrsDolittleDuck

MrsDolittleDuck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Tennessee
    Here's Our Goose House!

[​IMG]
    I have 2 Geese. I grew up in MA until 2 years ago. Now I live in TN.
    Hope you like my Goose House....This is what you call a
    Yankee Goose House...lol..lol...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by