Goose Incubation & Hatching Guide - Completed!!!!

Pics
Help! I had 3 embden geese eggs make it to day 27. I think one has died since yesterday. I can hear the other two clicking and one is making tiny little peeps every once in a while. I have been doing dry incubation because the humidity here in alabama has been high.
I put a bowl of water in there today because I was worried about not havING the humidity high enough for hatching.. Should I let them try to externally pip at this point on their own? Make an artificial pip? I want them to hatch!!
1f622.png
1f626.png
Advice needed from experienced folks. I think they lost the right amount of weight cause I weighed them. But still worried it was too dry. 23 to 35 humidity the whole time.

Edited to add that today is day 28

Last edited:

Here is a picture of my goose egg, today is day 29, I'm pretty sure that it has internally pipped for 24 hours now. I have not seen a distinct beak shadow, it is moving around a lot, but not making any noise, so I'm assuming it is okay? Am I correct in waiting until day 30 before making an external pip to help if it hasn't by tomorrow since it will be at 48 hours internally pipped with no progress? Just trying to prepare in case I need to assist. Thanks!!

Here is a picture of my goose egg, today is day 29, I'm pretty sure that it has internally pipped for 24 hours now. I have not seen a distinct beak shadow, it is moving around a lot, but not making any noise, so I'm assuming it is okay? Am I correct in waiting until day 30 before making an external pip to help if it hasn't by tomorrow since it will be at 48 hours internally pipped with no progress? Just trying to prepare in case I need to assist. Thanks!!
If it has internally pipped you should be able to see movement in the air cell and hear it peeping. I know nothing about goose incubation but that sure seems like a really large air cell and little bird.
fl.gif

Help! I had 3 embden geese eggs make it to day 27. I think one has died since yesterday. I can hear the other two clicking and one is making tiny little peeps every once in a while. I have been doing dry incubation because the humidity here in alabama has been high.
I put a bowl of water in there today because I was worried about not havING the humidity high enough for hatching.. Should I let them try to externally pip at this point on their own? Make an artificial pip? I want them to hatch!!
1f622.png
1f626.png
Advice needed from experienced folks. I think they lost the right amount of weight cause I weighed them. But still worried it was too dry. 23 to 35 humidity the whole time.

Edited to add that today is day 28
I can't speak specific to geese but if you are seeing movement in the air cell and hearing peeps then they have internally pipped. If there is no external pip after 24 hrs from internal I would assist with a very small artificial pip. You really need the baby to stay in the shell as long as possible. Be sure to read up on assisting if you do decide too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching
Good luck and keep us posted
fl.gif

Thank you so much for everyone's advice! This has been very stressful since my I lost all of my goslings in my last batch of eggs. The air cell for this egg was actually on target when I put it in lockdown and even though I had my humidity up to 70% it still grew larger, so I'm interested to see how this baby comes out as far as health, size, and strength of the gosling. The air cells on my other eggs haven't lost as much moisture since being in lockdown, so I'm kind of thinking it might be an issue of the egg shell integrity itself possibly? I've noticed that some lose moisture at different rates than other's in both chicken eggs and goose eggs. Also just to update everyone, this baby has finally externally pipped and I have another that I believe has internally pipped. I have not heard any chirps at all, but they have all been rocking around like crazy. I'm just crossing my fingers for them to make it through the hatch okay and my other eight do just as well! I have had to assist with two chicken eggs in the past and it's very nerve racking, so I'm hoping I don't have to with my geese. I hope I will have pictures to share tomorrow of some new additions to my flock, but we'll see.
fl.gif
Also if anyone's interested on size of the air cell for candling purposes for geese I have included a picture of what to look for. They are also supposed to lose 13% of their weight during incubation if what I read is correct. Which is what I hope is correct, because I'm basing these eggs off of the 13% weight loss and comparing it to this picture.

Back
Top Bottom