Goose Incubation & Hatching Guide - Completed!!!!

Pics
Hello:

I welcome some advice, my Embden eggs are at day 28 and this morning I heard, cheeping from at least two. I have 9 eggs in a brinsea 20 incubator. I've had to keep the HR down to 30% to get anyway near to the 14% weight loss. I had planned to increase the humidity to 70% this evening (based in England) but as I've heard the cheeping should I start early. I'm afraid I don't have another incubator to transfer the eggs into.

Any guidance appreciated.

Paul T

What I did in a similar situation was add the water, but not put the plugs in to really boost the humidity until most of the eggs were shadowing.
If it is a matter of getting the early ones to hatch over waiting on unknowns, I will do what I need to for the ones that are ready, and hope the rest catch up.

Ok.. I am new to hatching ducks.. I have hatched out a few. but still new.. How do i do the math on how much percentage of the air cell .. You say 14 percent...One week one i take the egg and mark the air cell and i weigh.. Forgot to weigh the egg before i put in the incubator. Do i take the grams and times it by 14 perc and that will tell me what it should weight by day 28

Hii. The easiest way is to weigh the new laid egg and go for a target of 15% for simplicity. For example a 200gm egg should lose approx 30gm. Thats a rough guide of 7.5gms a week. As a back up a visual assessment of the aircell is also informative.

Im sure I've doneother threads that detail weighing.

Best of luck.

Pete.

If the incubator has precise humidity control then add water to the resevoir. If your incubatorhas atray then a small saucer at a time then check your humiditybefore inreasing surface area. Small plastic plantsaucers are ideal.

Hi Pete, and thanks for this great post, i have read it forwards and backwards several times! The reason being that i have 12 goose egs in my bator! Its now day 30 and i had internal pipping in 8 of them last night, due to not being sure of the right size air bouble i drilled a 2,5 mm whole in those 8 eggs and they are still pipping lots! The last 4 is still not doing internal pipping! I mist 3-5 times daily and cool all 15 minutes a day!
What i desperatly wonna know is AM IM DOING IT RIGHT?
Btw your great post have now reatched Denmark

Well done so far as thats a 66% pip rate. You can now stop cooling, turning or misting the pipped eggs. Keep them in hatcher in a high humidity. The remaing 4 may have 1 or 2 late internal pippers.

Time to be patient as you wait for rotation and hatching.

Pleased to hear you found the hatching guide helpful as it seems to be a useful reference for members. Im also very pleased to hear its reached Scandinavia! I know its been published in the USA and Uk.

Good luck with your hatchlings and your kind comments are appreciated.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom