Goose language, what does this mean?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by desertdarlene, Jan 15, 2011.

1. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Sorry, I don't have a recording, but the friendlier geese at the lake make this sound when I approach them and I wonder what it meant. It is a series of short "bup bup bup" sounds, usually low in volume and tone. Their head is up and they're watching me when they do it. I did it back to them and they seemed to perk up when I did that.

In another area, these two geese that would scream and hiss at me would change to the "bup bup bup" sound if they realized that I was feeding the ducks and wanted some food, too. And, they would continue to do it as long as they seemed to think I had more food. It seems to be a friendly sound.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Like murmuring? Yes, that is a friendly goose chatter. [​IMG]

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:When feeding it can also be translated as "I want some too" otherwise 'all is well'~gd

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Thanks! I thought it was a friendly sound, I was worried that by doing it back to them was going to upset them.

It's funny, these two other geese at the lake (not the two Chinas, but two other) were really screaming and hissing at me, trying to bite, etc. I gave them food, but they still were being aggressive. But, if I turn around and start feeding the ducks, they immediately stop, get quiet, put their heads back up and do the murmuring sound. It's kinda funny. It's almost like an apology, "Oh, I'm sorry I told you to go away, I didn't mean that".

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    bup bup bup = she's OK. "Maybe we'll get fed."

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Translates loosely to = we love you Mommy, can we have some of that? Your hair looks really nice today Mommy, can we get food too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by