Goose mounting ducks?

Myavia

Chirping
May 25, 2020
Hello!
I have a single 3 month old goose that I raised with my ducks since day olds. They’ve always gotten along fine. Today I let them all out to go to the pond and I heard some commotion. The goose was latching onto the backs of one of my ducks and then mounted her like he was trying to mate?
I’m not sure of what else it could be, as it’s my first time owning geese. Is he too young to be trying to mate? Up until today I wasn’t even sure of gender.

Added a photo because he’s a gem 💗
38AEA7E8-0439-454D-BCFD-FC128CC76E29.jpeg

I am a first time goose owner my self, but that does sound like me is trying to mate with the ducks. Be careful becouse he could really hurt the ducks. They need to be able to get away if needed. (Ducks) if he was raised with them he most likely sees himself as a duck. Was he trying to do this in the water??

I am a first time goose owner my self, but that does sound like me is trying to mate with the ducks. Be careful becouse he could really hurt the ducks. They need to be able to get away if needed. (Ducks) if he was raised with them he most likely sees himself as a duck. Was he trying to do this in the water??

It was in the water. I wasn’t going to get him a mate yet, but if this is mating behaviour then I’ll get him a lady ASAP. So you don’t think he’s too young to start?

Then I would say this is meeting behaver. I would think 3 months is still too young, but it seems like he needs a lady. Do you know what kind of goose he is? (I have a goose breed book on me right now. I will see if it says anything on breed)I would also ask @Goosebaby she has always been a huge help

Then I would say this is meeting behaver. I would think 3 months is still too young, but it seems like he needs a lady. Do you know what kind of goose he is? (I have a goose breed book on me right now. I will see if it says anything on breed)I would also ask @Goosebaby she has always been a huge help

Hes a grey/brown Chinese goose. And thank you so much for the help. I was unsure because he’s so young but I definitely don’t want my ducks getting hurt.

It is breeding behavior, they may not be sexually mature until they’re a year old, some aren’t full sized until around two years but they can still play the mating game in the pool at very young ages.
I would be concerned for the ducks, he/she could kill one so another goose friend is needed.

I say “he/she because female geese will also mount a partner.

It is breeding behavior, they may not be sexually mature until they’re a year old, some aren’t full sized until around two years but they can still play the mating game in the pool at very young ages.
I would be concerned for the ducks, he/she could kill one so another goose friend is needed.

I say “he/she because female geese will also mount a partner.

If I got another goose would my goose still try to mount the ducks or only the goose?

Back
Top Bottom