Goose Nest Box

jmccotter12

Hatching
Mar 22, 2020
Does anyone have any recommendations for goose nest box size shape and design? My Embden just started laying and she just plopped it down on the ground also what do you do to get them to start laying in the box? What works for you? They free range so it will be a stand-alone box.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any recommendations for goose nest box size shape and design? My Embden just started laying and she just plopped it down on the ground also what do you do to get them to start laying in the box? What works for you? They free range so it will be a stand-alone box.
Large wooden crates open on one end, metal barrels, large dog crates; anything they can get in and out of easy. Used car tires is another that could be used if located in a sheltered spot. You could try placing a dummy egg in the nest. Old light bulbs work as a goose dummy egg.

:welcome

Something like this would work.

1585082454840.png

Large wooden crates open on one end, metal barrels, large dog crates; anything they can get in and out of easy. Used car tires is another that could be used if located in a sheltered spot. You could try placing a dummy egg in the nest. Old light bulbs work as a goose dummy egg.

Never heard of using light bulbs, don't you think they would accidentally break? I use golfballs

Lol, Do you speak from experience?

Why yes, yes I do...lol Here's a quoted post of mine from another thread on here...

"Mine got into some shenanigans this morning, but not entirely of their own volition. It has been raining on and off here for days. Last night it started and just didn't stop. When I got up (to work from home) this morning all the poultry pens were under about six inches of water. Georgia is nesting in a jumbo cat litter pan to keep her nest dry. Did you know that a goose, nine eggs, and hay in a litter pan will float in six inches of water? Because they do. She'd sailed right out of the entire house into the pen and was idly drifting along fussing in her confusion. Golly of course became enraged at his lovely wife's dilemma and decided that Sterling II (a very handsome Silver-laced Orpington cockerel) was to blame who was innocently minding his own business trying to work on his flamingo impersonation. The roommate summoned me when Golly started in on the cockerel and was holding him under the water. I rescued him, Georgia abandoned ship, literally, and the roommate had Golly pinned down to the ground, waterproof feathers be damned. lol He was furious and embarrassed to say the least. Once everyone was wrangled and calmed down I nudged the drifting nest back into the house, and watched from the kitchen window. Georgia returned to her nest much like a Grebe, Golly stalked over to keep watch, and once Sterling was all fluffy and dry he returned to the big yard. They've been fine all day ever since then. The water has receded enough that her nest is on the ground again. Let's hope it stays that way.

I should mention that I made it back into the house dry and unscathed. My roommate may or may not have thrown a stick (picture Jurassic Park with Alan Grant, a flare, and a very wet, angry Tyrannosaur) to distract him. Well it worked and in her attempt to get away from him she fell in her mud boots and pajamas. Somehow she managed to get up and pin him before he got her. "

Back
Top Bottom