Goose Protectors

Amanda16

Songster
7 Years
Mar 1, 2017
Dewey, AZ
I've read a couple articles that mention getting geese to protect your flock, but nothing really goes into detail. I was wondering if there was any where to find out more? Any opinions? Does it work?

You might try asking on the Geese forum to get their input:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/47/geese

I haven't raised geese but I wonder if geese sound the alarm more than protect? Guess it depends on what you're wanting protection from. I wouldn't want to count on a goose to protect a flock of chickens against every type of predator.

When it comes to keeping a flock safe from predators, I'd trust a secure, covered run over another animal (whether that be a rooster, a goose, or what have you).

Just my opinion...it'll be interesting to see what others say.

Two different stories that I have dealt with

I had a small goose who didn't fit in with my other two and I put him in with our chickens and he was great with them but was not a protector at all.

I have to geese and I love them to death. However, they are definitely not for everyone as they can be quite hard to handle behavior wise and I would not recommend putting them in with chickens because they are much larger and also can be a little aggressive especially if you have a mated pair during the spring when geese lay their eggs. Mine are great with each other put they went after after the smaller goose when I put it in with them.

Good Luck!

I just got y first geese back in October.

From what I read,it depends.Not all geese are going to fight for them,but lots of times,one will take one for the team.

Ganders are usually extremely more protective because of the goose from what I see,but females can aso be mean when it comes to defending their babies.

They do alarm the area though.

Thank you guys for the imput =^-^=. I think i will also ask the community in the goose forums as suggested above. =^-^=

Back
Top Bottom