Goose puberty!

Aimeeg1986

Songster
Dec 28, 2020
Right so goose puberty! Tell me your experience and please tell me it doesn’t last long lol, my little 3 month old darling has turned into a psycho lately, he/she is still very sweet but all of a sudden everything is scary he can’t control his/her voice sometimes I think only dogs can hear it lol and gets agitated a lot quicker than normal, I still don’t know the sex I have so any opinions on that also would be great! Thank you 😊

Attachments

• 5A0345DF-CFD5-4DFA-87E5-2AB2BBF1C547.jpeg
    5A0345DF-CFD5-4DFA-87E5-2AB2BBF1C547.jpeg
    818.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 26AC82B1-7566-4E51-B916-CC8EC4FE0E74.jpeg
    26AC82B1-7566-4E51-B916-CC8EC4FE0E74.jpeg
    943 KB · Views: 10
  • FF916D30-6701-4F23-9208-C97BEF23AE07.jpeg
    FF916D30-6701-4F23-9208-C97BEF23AE07.jpeg
    506.4 KB · Views: 11
Breeding season lasts until they start to molt, though that can be unclear because some first year geese don’t shed their flight feathers till next summer. Generally the first year they’re still babies and figuring out what’s going on, a two year old and older if it doesn’t like you will show you the true meaning of hell🤣

Right now you just have to remind them that you’re their friend and family member by spending time with them and giving treats now and then. Some geese are flightier than others some are more spicy, others are mellow, gender doesn’t always have much to do with it, it just depends on personality, but how they treat you can have a lot to do with how much time you invest in your relationship with them.

Breeding season lasts until they start to molt, though that can be unclear because some first year geese don’t shed their flight feathers till next summer. Generally the first year they’re still babies and figuring out what’s going on, a two year old and older if it doesn’t like you will show you the true meaning of hell🤣

Right now you just have to remind them that you’re their friend and family member by spending time with them and giving treats now and then. Some geese are flightier than others some are more spicy, others are mellow, gender doesn’t always have much to do with it, it just depends on personality, but how they treat you can have a lot to do with how much time you invest in your relationship with them.
My maverick has literally been a dream up until this week, he tries to honk but squeaks instead then scares himself because he doesn’t like the sound he makes lol he’s with me all the time and my family, he’s fine with all of us but at least once a day he has a funny five mins and forgets he’s nice! Ha ha I just thought that maybe it was nothing to do with breeding season as he’s a lone goose and only 3 months old so assumed it would be puberty and I’d have my lovely friend back soon!

My maverick has literally been a dream up until this week, he tries to honk but squeaks instead then scares himself because he doesn’t like the sound he makes lol he’s with me all the time and my family, he’s fine with all of us but at least once a day he has a funny five mins and forgets he’s nice! Ha ha I just thought that maybe it was nothing to do with breeding season as he’s a lone goose and only 3 months old so assumed it would be puberty and I’d have my lovely friend back soon!
Yeah he’s in his terrible teens! 😂 just remember if he charges don’t run, running will just embolden him, instead stand your ground and an tell him he’s a dork. Lol that’s what I do to my first year ganders, if you act like nothing happened it confuses them and they usually realize you’re not a rival or a scaredy cat.

It could still be a girl too, I’ve got a few extra spicy girls.
Yeah he’s in his terrible teens! 😂 just remember if he charges don’t run, running will just embolden him, instead stand your ground and an tell him he’s a dork. Lol that’s what I do to my first year ganders, if you act like nothing happened it confuses them and they usually realize you’re not a rival or a scaredy cat.
I’m just playing the waiting game of egg or no egg lol I’m not really fussed what it is as long as it’s happy and healthy and Hes never charged at me it’s more of the preening that turns into biting that’s bothering me as he’s never bit Me before but I do give him a good telling off and he says sorry pretty quick lol I just think he’s a bit hormonally imbalanced at the minute ha ha

My boys are a year old this month; They were really chill up until maybe November last year and that seemed to only calm down until perhaps a month ago? They don't attack me when I move their bucket anymore, which is great because goose bites really hurt!

Now they're back to their sweet selves, love a cuddle and still follow me when we go on walks - I hope they always follow me because it would be a shame to have to put them in a harness when we go outside.

Back
Top Bottom