Goose thread.

I have a love/dislike relationship with my geesies. I have two pilgrim geese, I think they are about 6-7 months old now. It's a male/female pair, so now that the female is laying, the normally obnoxiously friendly male is aggressive towards me. I knew this would happen, but my partner wanted to get fertile eggs from them. I had another pilgrim dame that I hatched, her name was Sam, she was not overly friendly like the males are but once I sat down she would come up to me, nibble on me, and hang out. Unfortunately she up and disappeared one day, no sign of her feathers or an attack, just gone. It's been a few weeks now, I'm hoping she just found a really hidden spot for nesting but she still hasn't turned up. I like geese because they're hilarious, have lots of personality, are gorgeous birds, but I also dislike them because how loud they can be and how aggressive the males get during mating season. I would love to hand raise two males with no dames so I don't have to worry about mating aggression. Or two females. Dunno.

I would love to hand raise two males with no dames so I don't have to worry about mating aggression. Or two females. Dunno.

I totally hear what you're saying, but that aggression is going to be there no matter what with the males. It might not be as bad without any females around, but it's totally a hormonal/seasonal thing that waxes & wanes. There are some breeds that are better about it, but in the end, I think it comes down to the individual bird and the breeding stock.

I totally hear what you're saying, but that aggression is going to be there no matter what with the males. It might not be as bad without any females around, but it's totally a hormonal/seasonal thing that waxes & wanes. There are some breeds that are better about it, but in the end, I think it comes down to the individual bird and the breeding stock.
Oh I didn't know this. If I'm trying to avoid this behavior would it be better if I just get 2 females without any males around? So far I've yet to receive aggression from any of my dames but I guess I never know.

I would say the attitude changes for the females, but in more of a standoffish aloof kind of way. They are of course very protective over their nesting areas, but I’ve yet to have a female go after me like the males do lol

Okay great to know. If I can even find any females I will get two or so. But it might be a while considering how hard they are to find!

Back
Top Bottom