1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

goose vs chicken vs incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Darlingoo, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Darlingoo

Darlingoo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2016
    First of all I didn't know where to post this question so I hope it's ok that I made a new thread here.

Ok am getting chickens in April/may and was wondering what a good brood hen would be as Idealy I'd want them to sit on goose eggs.
    The breeder I use said she had to give up on orpingtons as they don't do well in the rain and wet which is no good here and suggested a copper top a cross between silkie and a light Sussex but I don't know if they would be to small for goose eggs.
    Plus never been a massive fan of feathered feet or a silkie look not that that's important lol
    how many eggs they lay would just be a bonus for me.

Or should I just think screw it get a load of ex battery hens and an incubator or let the geese sit on there own eggs

If anyone reads or gets back to me about this I just wanna say thanks in advance

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    If you don't like feathered legs and you don't want orps (I've never had the experience of them being bad in rain and wet here but we likely have different climates) how about some game hens? They are excellent broodies. Or let the geese hatch them on their own, they are usually great mothers and you'd probably get a better hatch rate that way.

An incubator has its own perks, the major one being you never have to wait for a hen to go broody to incubate and can do it on your own. Here at least my geese start laying in late January or early February and chances are slim I'd have a broody chicken to hatch them for me at that time. So my options would be to let the geese do it or put them in my incubator. I will be incubating them myself. Goose eggs do have a bit of a learning curve though when incubating yourself and you're gonna want a good incubator to attempt it.

1 person likes this.
  3. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    If you live in a place that receives lots of rain, you probably want to avoid buff Orpingtons and any feather legged breeds. Game hens would be a good option as they have raised ducks and turkeys for me, but black Australorps and dark Cornish's are good options too in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  4. Darlingoo

Darlingoo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2016
    Thank you both for the helpful advice!
    I think I'll go with what Pyxis said and let the geese do there thing this year, as the incubator I have is old and the logic as you've layed out adds up.
    Though this has now opened my eyes to the dark Cornish and game hens so a lot more research needed to be done.
    Thank you both again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by