Goose with Angel wing at city park

Indie500

Chirping
Sep 11, 2023
Hi all! I'm in the midst of researching geese for this situation, so this question is supplementary to what I'm already doing and already know.

There's an adult Canada goose at my local city park with Angel wing. I went last Sunday which is the first time I've ever been and called the county to find out who takes care of the animals there at the park. Turns out no one does, not even Animal Control. Normally I'd just let it be since there's nothing that can be done at this point, but! I'm deafblind so my vision is obviously terrible even at a close distance, and it looked like there may have been some debris suck in this poor goose's feathers/wing. All I really want to do is see if I can get close enough to it to catch it for just long enough to check it out and make sure there's no injuries and that it doesn't need to be taken to the vet (we have a farm vet here who sees poultry of all kind on a regular basis, yay! ❤️).

So! Tips, suggestions, advice, good info to know, resources (here or otherwise)? Again, I'm doing independent research, too, including here on BYC, but it never hurts to ask. TIA!

Do you have a friend or family member who can go with you to check on the goose? Or perhaps even ask the farm vet to come with you to catch the goose and check it out?

Do you have a friend or family member who can go with you to check on the goose? Or perhaps even ask the farm vet to come with you to catch the goose and check it out?
My boyfriend will be coming with me for sure. I hadn't thought to ask our vet to come along...although, he runs an animal hospital and he and the three other vets he employs are always booked to the brim because they're so fantastic. I'd just have to ask. 🤷🏼‍♀️

My boyfriend will be coming with me for sure. I hadn't thought to ask our vet to come along...although, he runs an animal hospital and he and the three other vets he employs are always booked to the brim because they're so fantastic. I'd just have to ask. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Maybe if the 2 of you catch her you can video her condition or any injuries to show to the vet and see what he thinks if anything can be done . Good luck I hope you can help her thats very kind of you to try oh and bring some lettuce or something :love

Maybe if the 2 of you catch her you can video her condition or any injuries to show to the vet and see what he thinks if anything can be done . Good luck I hope you can help her thats very kind of you to try oh and bring some lettuce or something :love
I was thinking peas, but romane lettuce would probably be better at first to bring the goose in closer and build some trust. The park ducks and geese are very people-friendly as I clearly saw on Sunday, so I'm not terribly worried about the trust part. 😉

Update: Well, seems I've adopted the park flock...I can't just sit and watch them slowly starve to death and get malnourished by the public who don't know any better. I'll never be mad at someone who feeds ducks and geese bread or crackers out of ignorance. I just want these babies to also have proper nutrition.

Anyway, about the goose, whom we have nicknamed Left-wing, I was able to get close enough to see that they didn't have any debris in there, but I also can't tell if the deformity is actually Angel wing or a broken wing that healed wrong. Either way it's clearly not correctable and also not bothering them. I did observe, however, that the rest of the flock pushes them off to the side and picks on them quite a bit. I was able to sorta isolate them enough to make sure they got at least a couple handfuls of food. (I ended up bringing pelleted feed and peas with me.) Hopefully I can contact someone at the city tomorrow to ask about posting educational signs for feeding the duckers and goosies.

Back
Top Bottom