Goose with bumps on head

themothergooz

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
I've got a Canada in my area that has a bump near his eye on each side of his head.

Is he okay? I've never seen this before.

It is, but the other geese don't have the bumps.

Do you think he has an ear infection???
No way of knowing unless there could be an examination, which I don't see happening unless your on speaking terms with this goose. Is there a rescue group in your area that might help? and do you see the goose scratching this area? could be a cyst or could some one hi the goose there?

He's not scratching. He reacts to sound and to me walking around him. He stands up straight and he walks normal. He's eating fine...no difficulty swallowing and no regurgitation.

Actually I am on speaking terms with him, he's been in the neighborhood for about three years and is a very gentle fellow.

I can get him into the local wildlife rehabber but I wanted to make sure I wasn't putting him through the trauma of a car trip without being sure that it was he really needed. He does have a wife.

It's breeding season, he has a wife, and he seems like a healthy bird - I say let him be as long as he's not displaying any symptoms of being sick. It may just be a natural variation - maybe one of his ancestors wasn't purebred Canada. If he has looked like that for three years, I bet he's fine.

It's nice you are keeping such a close eye on them, this way if something else goes wrong you'll spot it quick and can get them treated. I'd do as The goose girl said just watch for now if it begins to get larger and he is acting off then by all means take him to be checked.

Canada's are such awesome geese thank you for caring.

Since it's on both sides of his head, it could possibly be genetic. Or even an old injury. From shot, from a shotgun, or even an arrow, since that seems to be common with waterfowl getting hit with arrows. Some even through the head and they still live. Or he just so happens to have abscesses on both sides on his head. Either way, if he doesn't appear lethargic or has ruffled up feathers, he should be feeling fine for the time being. I wouldn't separate him from his mate unless he looked very ill.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it.

But guess what? I spotted him this morning and he's fine. The bumps are gone. I don't get it?!

I'm sure it's him because he has white eyebrows and his right eyebrow slants at a steeper angle than the left.

I don't know what to say...I'm actually embarrassed.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it.

But guess what? I spotted him this morning and he's fine. The bumps are gone. I don't get it?!

I'm sure it's him because he has white eyebrows and his right eyebrow slants at a steeper angle than the left.

I don't know what to say...I'm actually embarrassed.
No need to be embarrassed you are concerned and that is something we all appreciate. Glad to hear what ever it was is gone.

Back
Top Bottom