Goose with watery stool, slower growth, and possible lethargy?

Alyx86

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2019
Hi, I'm wondering if someone could lend some advice? I have two 3-month old Pilgrim geese. One has historically been a little bit smaller than the other. Lately, we've noticed that when we take them to our pond, she (the smaller one) is less active in the water than she used to be, and last night we noticed some watery stool.

She still has an appetite, preens her feathers, and flaps her wings vigorously. But the size difference, watery stool, and less activity in the water have us a little concerned.

Should I worm her (and is there a wormer you recommend)? Take her to a vet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to BYC!

Can you post a picture of her poop? Goose and duck poop is usually watery since they drink so much water but a picture wouldn't hurt.

Around that age my geese seem to sleep A Lot since they are getting new feathers and growing like a weed.I would not worm her unless you know she has worms.Can you post a picture of the geese too?

When you say pond please describe . Sometimes water can get stagnant and make them sick. Sometimes they eating on rotting fish or some other creature and sometimes because they drink a lot of water naturally they have watery poop. She may have picked up a parasite you might want to have a fecal done at the vets to rule that out. Usually 20.00 if she has a good appetite and is preening hopefully nothing too serious. If a vet is an option that would be best to ease your mind and do something before it gets too serious. Can you post a video of her you’ll have to put it on you tube or Vimeo then copy and paste here.

Well, I went out there and watched her for a half an hour. I took a handful of videos, and her behavior is really indistinguishable from her sister. The best part is I got to see her poo (strange that this is the best part -- but it was), and it was totally solid today. She wasn't swimming with the vigor we are used to, but neither was her sister today. It makes sense that it could be the developmental at this age, as MasterofClucker suggested.

I think I'm going to watch to see if the watery stool returns. If so, I'll post a pic and look into the fecal test. Thank you MissLydia and MasterofClucker.

Hopefully, we were just overly concerned, and I'll keep watching for now.

Oh, and the pond shouldn't be an issue. It's a 10x15 (5 feet deep) spring fed pond. The flow is probably 50 gallons a minute. No fish, just frogs. They only spend about half an hour there a day (we have to walk them a ways to get there from where they live -- which is weekly rotated pastures with chickens).

Hi,
Hi, I'm wondering if someone could lend some advice? I have two 3-month old Pilgrim geese. One has historically been a little bit smaller than the other. Lately, we've noticed that when we take them to our pond, she (the smaller one) is less active in the water than she used to be, and last night we noticed some watery stool.

She still has an appetite, preens her feathers, and flaps her wings vigorously. But the size difference, watery stool, and less activity in the water have us a little concerned.

Should I worm her (and is there a wormer you recommend)? Take her to a vet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, We use a tea in our sometimes, it seems to be a pretty good supplement and help a lot of issues. It's just two cinnamon sticks, 4-5 cardamom pods crushed, and about a half teaspoon of ground turmeric, in about 4 gallons of water. They actually prefer it and side by side they favor the waterer with the tea over the plain. We haven't seen any negative effects from it. Keeps the water from fouling in hot weather too. Sounds like she's doing better, may save you a trip to the vet next time. **Note 2 cardamom pods crushed, 1 cinnamon stick, two quarter size size slices of ginger, and a tea bag, all seeped will kicking the butt of a cold when the season comes around. Ginger is proven better for nausea than anything available, and some strong antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, and vitamins in the rest. (the turmeric, I just down separate in stirred in a shot of water, as the tea is actually really good without it, even the kids request it when sick)

Hi, there. Just checking in to see how your bird is doing. Updates to these threads are quite helpful for people in the future experiencing the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom