Gordys foot issue ......... Update

lockedhearts

It's All About Chicken Math
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Georgia
A couple months ago I wrote about my Giant Schnauzer. He began chewing his toe on his right foot. Thought it was a Yeast Infection, treated it, did not get much better. Took him to one vet (should have known better) he never really examined him, wanted to amputate (to the tune of $600) but put him on Keflex and pain meds first.
Ok, so it began to look much better and even heal up. Once keflex was gone it went downhill again. Went to a second vet for opinion, she felt it was a tumor, but did not x-ray, since she would not touch it.

So, I went to a third vet, he is modern, has a laser for surgery and I used him a few times before. He is also understanding of financial situations. So third vet clips the toe , cultures and he is now on 2 antibiotics and an oral antifungal. We just started the medicine and Gordy is remarkably better. He is running again and becoming his usual playful self.

I am praying this medicine combo clears this completely and no amputation is necessary. We have another week on he meds and if it is working will go another 2 weeks until it is completely healed. He will never have nails on either toe. (left or right inside) but at least he will have toes.

I remember this from a while back. Glad you found something that seems to be working. I really hope things continue on an uphill swing once the meds stop.
smile.png

Quote:
I hope so too! I am just afraid that losing a toe for a 110lb dog is going to cause him issues at some point.

Nah, he'll be fine without a toe.... look at the dogs that lose a whole leg. Dogs are far more resilliant than us humans. BUT, glad your pup is on the mend and hopefully he can keep his toes!

Back
Top Bottom