gosling biting

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Dogue, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Dogue

Dogue Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2014
    my 3 week old embden gosling is biting me.
    It is unsexed but I call it a him.
    He is hand raised and imprinted to me. He loves me! But when I'm petting him or he is sitting next to me, he is almost constantly biting me with a twisting motion. It hurts!
    I've tried holding his mouth shut, hissing, and pushing him away, but absolutely nothing works.
    Why is he doing this and how do I correct it?

2. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Stop hand feeding him and give him a bowl instead of hand feeding. Hold the bowl in your hands.
    Sounds like he's just chewing.
    They chew everything when bored ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Goslings explore the world with their bills. Just like human babies, they'll chew anything. It's great practise for eating lots of grass - not so great for fingers. You can't make them stop chewing, but you can redirect the chewing.

Try giving him something more interesting to chew, like sturdy baby chew toys. I got my gosling a whole bunch of baby toys from a thrift store. She quickly picked her favorites and would play with them for hours. She especially liked the ones that had a little give (not hard plastic), and the ones that made sounds when she chewed or shook them. She also liked clogs, anything with velcro, and shoes with laces. I kept the toys in an old purse with lots of latches, buckles, and tabs, and she had a hoot fishing the toys out of the bag.

And of course, give him grass. I dug out a square of turf once or twice a day for my gosling to eat and play with. When she was done with one, I just put it back in the lawn.

In this video, she's three days old and enjoying her very first grass:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by