gosling bitten by dog, seeking wound advice

froggyphore

Songster
Sep 20, 2019
my baby (4 weeks) gander doesn’t like my dog and charges him whenever he sees him. i keep them apart but today i didn’t notice he was following me and he got into the goose yard. the gander went after him and before i could get to them my dog turned around and bit him on the head.

he’s a small dog (9lb) but i’m still concerned by this particular wound, it seems like he’s shorn the top layer of skin creating a flap. everything under the skin looks fine, smooth and pink with capillaries. it’s about 1/2”. it was clean, i slathered it with neosporin and am keeping him in a guinea pig cage indoors for now. i wanted to dress it but not sure how since its on his head so close to his eye. i’m also not sure if i should be trying to join the skin somehow, it’s too thin to stitch and i don’t have liquid stitching. he’s acting mostly normal but clearly in a bit of pain. i was hoping to take him to the vet tomorrow if i can find one who does geese, do you guys think that would be necessary, or would they just do the same thing i’ve already done? thanks.
34D9FDE8-CA27-4760-95B6-6F030DB4F944.jpeg

Given that it's a head wound, a vet visit would be prudent.

And you know you'll need to ensure your dog cannot get to the gosling - ever - in the future.

Best wishes for his speedy recovery.
certainly. i was quite shocked as in all his 15 years he’s (literally) not hurt a fly. i‘ve raised every batch of chicks with him from day one and he’s never shown a single ounce of aggression even when getting chased and pecked. thanks for your well wishes. fingers crossed that my vet takes geese.

update for anyone interested or in a similar situation: vet said it was shallow and mostly fine but looking a bit purulent, prescribed povidone iodine rinse and oral antibiotics for if it gets worse. said to watch out for flystrike and pecking.

Back
Top Bottom