gosling dying

Are you giving them any grass clippings? Geese need grass, major food.Holderreads book and goose raisers say it's important to include daily greens (non sprayed) for geese. As for grit, just sprinkle a bit on their feed.

Question, on the greens, my babes won't even touch them yet, so I am starting some bitter green do you think that will work?

As to the sick babe, one of mine got the same way and I kept him seperated but as close to his littermates in a cut down box so he could see them. It really seemed to help. I think they sometimes can stay sick longer when they feel lonely.

Okay I just went home and he is looking better. I switched him to a fresh box and gave him fresh sugary warm water. It seems like the brooder pneumonia could be possible because I could never keep up with them! Every time I watered them (3x/day) I would put down new shavings but by the time I came back it seemed like almost the whole area was damp again. I will call around about the nutri drench.

When I switched boxes, I set him down and he stood for a few seconds and tried to eat, but it didn't look like he was able/wanted to swallow it. It seemed that wiped him out because he laid down and started napping.

I give them handfuls of grass everyday so that shouldn't be the issue.

And he was next to his buddies but we switched them to an outside house last night to give them more room, so he is alone in a box in a bedroom. I can tell he is lonely. =(

It gets down to freezing temps at night still and I have a heat lamp on for the other guys but I am afraid of the temperature fluctuations too much to put him outside with them (but separate).

How much would you estimate a 3 week old roman tufted gosling weighs? I have been dosing his antibiotics for a little under 2 lbs and I have no idea if that is correct or not.

Have no idea about the antibiotics, but if you stroke and preen him as often as possible,should help with a baby feeling alone.
idunno.gif

I AM THRILLED!!!!!!!!!

The baby is acting totally normal.

It ate grass out my hands this morning, drinking water, getting it everywhere, eating normal food...

and he POOED! I gave him molasses water for 2 hours and right when i took it away he stood up and pooed.

so just a few more questions

how long should i keep him on the antibiotics? I was thinking 5 days total... today is day 3.

I know they do short courses now with human antibiotics like bactrim but would that stand for animals too?

when will he be ready to be put in with the other goslings? will they pick on him?

ETA:
celebrate.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom