Gosling help

Gosling Mom

Hatching
Jul 15, 2021
My daughter was gifted a baby goose to nurse back to health after injury. We had given it an antibiotic and force feed her till she was eating on her own and looking so much better, two weeks later today her leg is swelling again but she's eating on her own still I've seriously tried everything and no vet in my area deals with geese what can I do if anything to help her heal ?

Can you post pictures of her and the swollen leg?

How was she injured?

Can she walk?

What antibiotics did you use and what dosage?
Was told she got caught in weeds but leg looked fine just didn't stand on it ,then a few days after she had a couple of spots down the leg that looked infected and it was swollen. My aunt gave her LA-200 super tiny dose for three day and she looked like she was so much better and leg looked like it was getting stronger. Then a week later here we are again with a swollen leg🤔

Was told she got caught in weeds but leg looked fine just didn't stand on it ,then a few days after she had a couple of spots down the leg that looked infected and it was swollen. My aunt gave her LA-200 super tiny dose for three day and she looked like she was so much better and leg looked like it was getting stronger. Then a week later here we are again with a swollen leg🤔

Attachments

• 20210715_134600.jpg
    20210715_134600.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210715_134625.jpg
    20210715_134625.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210715_134636.jpg
    20210715_134636.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 8
My first thought is that this could be staph, the same thing that causes bumblefoot, staph exists everywhere, in the soil, in flower nectar, everywhere, so if there’s an injury it’s not unusual for staph to infect the wound.
Oxytetracycline “LA-200” isn’t a great choice to treat staph, cephelexin and ciprofloxacin are far more effective.
A vet will be able to diagnose and prescribe antibiotics much better than I can and treat the gosling immediately but if a vet isn’t an option you can try fish antibiotiotics https://www.countrysidepet.com/collections/fish
Staph infections like this need to be treated ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom